Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Visit to Austrian Alps

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

Go to latest contribution by peggy dawe, 30 July 2013, 14:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Mel Linney 22 April 2013, 20:07top / bottom of page

Elaine and I are considering a Week in Austria to enjoy the Alpine flora. Can anyone give advice about where to stay,best locations to find flowers and any tour companys that can help us achieve our dream.

Contribution from Susan Read 25 April 2013, 09:06top / bottom of page

Mel, I hesitate to give advice on achieving the holiday of one's dreams! It all depends.....

I always book a bargain late deal on one of the well known holiday company web sites, usually called Lakes and Mountains. This works for Gatwick departures. My philosophy is to have a good walking holiday and see what I can find by way of flowers.

Which month were you considering? July is usually good for flowers and often poor for weather. I think August is probably best avoided if possible.

Contribution from Susan Read 25 April 2013, 14:03top / bottom of page

Probably my best flower holiday in Austria was based at Kals-am-Grossglockner in the Hohe Tauern National Park. The walking was tough and as far as I know there were no lifts. Huts would probably be open from the end of June though then an ice axe would be useful!

Hintertux is quite good and more accessible. You can go high on lifts and walk down but paths and roads are rough.

Contribution from Mel Linney 26 April 2013, 07:28top / bottom of page

Thanks for the advice Susan.The Hohe Tauern seems to be the place to go and the Tour Operators are offering good deals for June /July this Year. We shall be looking for Alpine and Sub Alpine plants (we never tire of an audience with his Majesty The King of the Alps or his attendents, particularly the Glacier Crowfoot)so anything on places to stay and visit is most welcome.

Contribution from Susan Read 26 April 2013, 17:41top / bottom of page

Mel, Hope I was not confusing. Hohe Tauern is a very good area but I cannot find a tour operator offering a package deal, except to resorts outside of the area and a day trip away. I would book one if I could. You really have to be prepared to do hutting, and one week would not be enough for the whole trip.

I have never seen Eritrichium in Austria. Have AGS members seen it there? Above 2500 metres you could have low cloud for a week! In recent years I have had very pleasant weeks in Austra which I have put on this web site.

Contribution from peggy dawe 30 July 2013, 14:02top / bottom of page
austria holidays

I went on a very good AGS holiday in Austria, first at Lech and then in Obergurgl. There were plenty of good flower site to be found at both locations, as well as cable cars or ski lifts to get to higher places. This was back in 2002.

Peggy Dawe

This discussion Thread: Visit to Austrian Alps - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion