Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: To the woods

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

My aim with this thread is to encourage would be amateur botanisers to improve their skills with local plants armed with a field guide. Good luck and happy hunting.

Go to latest contribution by ian mcdonald, 25 March 2014, 16:18. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 27 May 2010, 20:10top / bottom of page

I live in what is now known as the South Yorkshire Forest but I live less than a mile from an ancient broadleaf woodland known as Wombwell wood which forms part of that initiative. I spent a great part of my childhood playing there and fishing in the reservoir. A succesion of family dogs became well acquainted with the trees and my children enjoyed family walks collecting bluebells ( definitly frowned upon now) in the spring and sweet chestnuts in the autumn. All that was a long time ago and these days Elaine and I enjoy the rich diversity of flora and fauna that the wood supports.What follows is a selection of plants we found on a short walk in the third week of May.

Firstly, it had to be the Bluebell Hyacinthoides non-scriptus

Continuing the blue theme,Glechoma hederacea, sometimes known as ground ivy though not an ivy at all.

Also Viola ? known locally asDog Violet.

Next a common cranesbill Geranium robertianum,Herb Robert.

Yellow was well represented with Ranunculus ficaria, Celandine.

And of course Taraxacum officinale, Dandelion.

But the delight of the day was a fine bed of Lords and Ladies, Arum maculatum.

I'm sure they are all the same species but the variation is interesting.

One of the many paths running through the wood.

How long did it take the woodpecker to realise that the nesting material wasfalling out through the bottom.

After enjoying our time in the woods, we decided to take a walk around one of the many lakes in the area.

Lakes attract waterfowl, Mallards being one.

However, the Canada Geese are very common.

I do not know how many eggs they lay but there must be more than one clutch here.

Buttercups Ranunculus repens,Red Campion Silene dioica and Plantain Plantago lanceolata were in abundance.

As were the Cowslips Primula veris and Hawthorn Crataegus monogyna.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: To the woods - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion