Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Slovenian Alps

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Kranjska Gora in late May

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 24 October 2010, 10:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 01 June 2010, 09:42top / bottom of page

My impression is that all are white until they start to 'go over' after fertilization

Soldanella also on the ridge.

Previous are: 3 views from top, one of the summit and just one more Helleborus picture...I could not stop taking pictures of them!

Descent route was long steep zig-zag under the chairlift (would be worth seeking for ascent). Near the bottom the Convallaria majalis

Contribution from Susan Read 01 June 2010, 15:53top / bottom of page

The following day 25th May I decided to try to get higher, partly following the route of the first day. This is where I could not find paths, possibly because it was early in the season and possibly through lack of use since a road goes over the pass and in high season there is a bus. Starting with Lake Jasna again and a statue of the fabled Zatorog.

Zlatorog (nb Zl)is a famous golden horned ibex or similar of fairy stories and more importantly a brand of lager.

One of my favourite woodland plants, very common here, Fagus sylvatica.

At the foot of the mountains acres of scree and dry river bed

A memorial to Slovenian climbers..... a reminder about the dangers.

Going back into the woods, inevitably. Quite a few striped orchid leaves. Could they be common spotted?

Vinca, almost weedlike at woodland margins

Previous is Hacquetia epipactis.

Going higher and meeting the main road a Russian memorial church.

Higher still the path became a stream bed, or did it?Fallen trees, large boulders and time of day sent me back to the hotel!

May 26th, a valley walk to Italy. A railway used to run into Italy along the broad flat valley of the Sava. Now it is a smooth cycle track, with hay meadows to the side. Hay drying racks.

Previous is preserved railway station at next village up the valley. Next comes the source of the river , the Zelenci pool, fed by springs on the floor of the pool.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Slovenian Alps - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion