Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Return to Mayrhofen

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Early July

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 23 July 2012, 14:56. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 18 July 2012, 14:50top / bottom of page

After doing less than I had hoped at Whitsun I decided on 1 more week, the second week of July. Mayrhofen has many attractions and on the first morning curiosity as to why the roads were closed led me to discover a cycle rally starting on a ski lift.

Contribution from Susan Read 18 July 2012, 15:00top / bottom of page

Later that day I did a warm up walk to the east of town to the Steinerkogel Haus and Brandberg. To start with the path is wooded and steep but well used, with many shrines along the way. Plants included nettle leaved bellflower etc etc

The first mystery plant looks to me like a Stonecrop, perhaps Sedum villosum?

As the trees thin common spotted orchid struggles through sheets of Solomon's seal.

Orobanche was very common at the side of the path skirting the meadow above the trees and as far as I could see thyme was the host. Anthericum ?ramosum at the side of the path was in fairly full sun and Dianthus deltoides was definitely in full sun

The meadows around here at 1200m had not yet been cut and were fairly rich in flowers.

A path from Brandberg down to the river Ziller is steep but idyllic and the walk back to Mayrhofen follows the river

Contribution from Susan Read 18 July 2012, 15:49top / bottom of page

The next morning cloud was low but I (and many others) took the bus to the Zillergrund reservoir about 10 miles upstream above Brandberg.

The road winds up the side of the dam partly through tunnels to emerge in a beatiful valley. From there you walk along the track skirting the reservoir. Flowers are so thick and luxuriant one might suspect the banks had been seeded.

Lilium martagon at several points against a background of Campanula barbata ,orchids, fragrant and spotted, bladder campion, catchfly, Geranium silvaticum and alpenrose.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Return to Mayrhofen - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion