Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Plants of Crete.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

Go to latest contribution by john fielding, 13 December 2011, 10:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 23 May 2010, 16:18top / bottom of page

Our visit to Crete was for recreational reasons but it goes without saying that we would be looking for plants wherever we went.The pictures that follow may not be, strictly speaking alpine in nature but could be of interest to anyone thinking of taking up this fascinating hobby.The plants we found were in a number of locations in the district of Lasithi.

View from Lato archaeological site towards the Gulf of Mirabello.

Polygala myrtifolia

Phlomis fructicosa

Cistus creticus ?

View from the hills above Lasithi Plateau.

Allium neapolitanum

An umbellifer but which one?

Another one not identified.

Tragopogon we think probably as is the last one.

Is this plant Nigella fumariifolia?

We thought this was a Polygala,does anyone know its name?

Ipomoea purpurea.

The island of Spinalonga had some plants of interest.

Capparis spinosa.

Glaucium flavum.

Passiflora caerulea.

Allium ampeloprasum.

Low growing succulent.

We enjoyed discovering these plants but we intend to visit Crete again in the near future but in March. We hope our adventures encourage others to try their hand at this very interesting aspect of our hobby.

Contribution from David Nicholson 24 May 2010, 20:29top / bottom of page

Lovely pictures Mel, I enjoyed the trip. Any more?

Contribution from Mel Linney 24 May 2010, 22:50top / bottom of page

Thanks David, sadly I have no more plants from our Cretan holiday.I am currently honing my botanical skills locally and I will be posting some of my finds in the next few days. All this is for my own interest of course but I hope it will encourage others to have a bash.

Contribution from john fielding 29 November 2011, 16:40top / bottom of page
Name corrections (assuming I'm correct!) for plants from Crete

3rd Phlomis lanata

6th Allium subhirsutum

7th Smyrnium creticum

8th Pallenis spinosa (syn. Asteriscus spinosus)

10th Nigella damascena

11th Polygala venulosa

15th Passiflora x violacea

17th Mesembryanthemum nodoflorum

John Fielding, co-author Flowers of Crete published by RBG Kew

Contribution from Mel Linney 05 December 2011, 15:26top / bottom of page

Hello John, thanks for your expert knowledge. I appreciate any help with this new found hobby of mine.I am now botanising wherever I go, even in the Caribbean from where where I have just returned.As a question to the Society, Do you think it would be an idea for the Society and/or the groups to hold plant identification courses similar to the ones organised by the B.S.B.I.? I'm sure I am not alone in wanting to identify plants in the wild and such a course would be a great help to novice and expert alike.

Contribution from john fielding 13 December 2011, 10:19top / bottom of page

I'm sure that a course to help you look at the basic structure of plants, their flowers and fruit etc. would help you if you are a beginner. I would say that in my experience you eventually get a feeling about plants that you become familiar with. By this I mean you instinctively know the family that it is likely to be in and can then break it down to the genera which makes looking up what the species is likely to be easier. It does take time though! Many of the tropical families are more of a problem to me, though I have an excuse because I have never been to the tropics.

John

This discussion Thread: Plants of Crete. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion