Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Plants in Peru

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Caroline Seymour

Please help me identify some of these

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 10 November 2011, 12:16. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Caroline Seymour 07 November 2011, 22:28top / bottom of page

Although I wasn't on a botanising trip, it was impossible to ignore some little treasures. However, I have not found any source covering this area, so would appreciate some help.

These flowers were on a grassy knoll above Cuzco at around 12,000ft.

Additional pix

I'm obnviously new to this. I thought I had uploaded 4 pictures. I will try again.

Additional pix

Contribution from Jon Evans 08 November 2011, 22:10top / bottom of page

Hi Caroline

What a lovely plant! Being a photographer rather than a botanist, I'm afraid I can't offer any informed suggestions as to what it might be. Have you tried asking Peter Erskine or Martin Sheader? They are both pretty familiar with the flora further south in the Andes.

Contribution from Caroline Seymour 10 November 2011, 11:50top / bottom of page

Thanks, Jon. I am adding a couple more pix. One shows the flowers studding the ground - so there are lots of them, about an inch across, and apparently acaulescent - they were of no interest to my companions who probably thought they were daisies! The second pic does at least show they have pink reverse to the petals and I wondered whether the small twin leaves were related to them. I'm sorry the pix aren't clearer, but I was hardly allowed to stop and nagged with "You've already taken those. What do you want another picture for?" I'm sure you recognise the sentiment.

My next plant I think is Oxalis herrerae, growing on limestone amongst Inca/earlier ruins, again in the hills above Cuzco, about 12,000ft.

Contribution from Jon Evans 10 November 2011, 12:16top / bottom of page

Hi Caroline

On the basis of the new pictures, I am more comfortable to suggest Haylockia andina as a possible identification, purely on the basis of the superficial resemblance between these photos and those on the Pacific Bulb Society website (http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Haylockia), not on any detailed botanical observation. The Haylockia on the PBS site came from northern Argentina at over 3000m, so that is perhaps promising.

This discussion Thread: Plants in Peru - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion