Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Oetztal Alps August 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 09 May 2012, 09:42. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 03 May 2012, 11:27top / bottom of page

In conclusion a bit disappointing for flowers, but it was mainly the weather that had been the problem. As usual it was a late deal with a well known company, in a 4 star hotel with 5 star food (with spa, pool etc if you got desperate). After the Indian Himalayas I itched to get back to the mountains. Comparison? It depends on whether you want comfort or an overwhelming quantity of flowers!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 03 May 2012, 11:53top / bottom of page

Susan - the cobbled pathway and water feature are fascinating! I was also interested by the yellow Euphrasia - for some reason I imagined all euphrasias to be like the white, marked version. The rocks and lichen are also good fun; I have often taken pictures like this, close ups of lichens, mosses and fungi, which are often like mini-gardens in themselves. Even with not so many flowers there is still a lot to see.

Contribution from Susan Read 09 May 2012, 09:42top / bottom of page

I am still a bit uncertain about some of the plant names eg is the gentian G brachyphylla or G bavarica or yet something else? I suspect the gentianella is G amarella. The new AGS on-line encyclopaedia is very valuable.....

Am adding a another gentian picture where the leaves look yellow green though judging from the shade of the blue petals it is overexposed.

In case anyone has an interest in dandelions this one (name?) at 2000m makes a change from the usual!

Tim I find that in many places in the Austrian Alps there are interesting wood carvings.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

This discussion Thread: Oetztal Alps August 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion