Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Nototriche

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 21 May 2012, 10:14. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 16 April 2012, 12:39top / bottom of page

I was intrigued to see a picture of a Nototriche on page 79 of the March issue of the Alpine Gardener. Back in 1980 while trekking in the Peruvian Cordillera Blanca I photographed a plant which I could not identify. After a bit I came to the conclusion that it was a Nototriche...but which species? Seeing the recent picture I suspect it might be N. aretioides. Can anyone confirm this? The quality of the picture, I am afraid reflects the fact that I photographed a projected slide.

Contribution from Martin Sheader 16 May 2012, 17:14top / bottom of page

It certainly looks like Nototriche aretioides. Robert Rolfe has an interest in this genus and may be able to confirm. For a high altitude species it is growable with a bit of care and flowers reliably.

Contribution from Susan Read 18 May 2012, 10:17top / bottom of page

Martin, many thanks for your reply. I don't try to grow difficult plants...since looking after them while I am away is a problem. As far as I remember this one was growing at well over 4000m below the Punta Union Pass. I am wondering if you use UV lighting when growing these high alpines under glass or plastic ?

Contribution from Martin Sheader 18 May 2012, 18:55top / bottom of page

Notoriche aretioides needs to be grown in full light when in active growth otherwise it becomes leggy - light shading in summer is OK. The closely related N. macleanii is more tolerant of light shade. We have hybridized the 2 species and are selecting forms more amenable to cultivation.

Contribution from Susan Read 21 May 2012, 10:14top / bottom of page

Yes, thanks, nicely set out in your note in the Dec 2000 Bulletin. I have read that UV light can cause stunting, hence my comment. UV levels and spectral distribution at about 4500m must be very difficult reproduce!

This discussion Thread: Nototriche - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion