Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Mongolia

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 15 February 2013, 14:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 29 January 2013, 11:09top / bottom of page

I think the next could be Serratula and Pleurospermum, followed by Parnassia

The next two I do not know at all!

Next a Salvia cf wardii and then a pale blue one.

a rather nice campanula

Contribution from Susan Read 29 January 2013, 11:31top / bottom of page

All comments on identification are very welcome.

I was surprised how many flowers there were. Apparently conditions had been very dry followed by late summer rain, so it might be a matter of luck. When I had visited Central Asia in August I found very few flowers.

Contribution from Susan Read 01 February 2013, 13:29top / bottom of page

Two more plants, one of which is probably thyme and is likely to be T. mongolicus and the other appears to be an Adenophora (a campanula relative)

Contribution from Susan Read 01 February 2013, 14:05top / bottom of page

The Flora I found most relevant is the Greifswald Flora of Mongolia, on line, but with herbarium illustrations only. Gentiana decumbens v. mongolica is actually on the AGS encyclopaedia, without pictures! The name decumbens is a bit misleading. G. dahurica was a flower of the month last year for the Ontario Rock Garden Society and looks rather different. The Gentianopsis may be G barbata. Confirmation or further thoughts on any of these would be appreciated.

Contribution from Susan Read 05 February 2013, 10:07top / bottom of page

Thinking further about one of the mystery plants, I wondered if it could be a Boschkiania (in USA ground cone and a broomrape relative). This one does seem to have some chlorophyll but it is not obvious what the host plant would be.

Have put more detail of another of the mysteries.(To me this plant reminds me slightly of some ligularias but with flowers almost like the diminuativr soroseris)

Norma has given me a detailed itinerary so we have dates and places for the pictures should anyone be interested!! Names of lakes and mountains contain many double vowels and k's and h's.

Erratum above: 'diminutive'...another senior moment.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 05 February 2013, 10:36top / bottom of page

Ligularia was my first thought, but it's another one of those 'damned yellow daisies' that must often cause botanists to tear their hair out. But very ligularia-like. The other plant I had no idea about until you suggested broomrape - so those fine cut leaves don't necessarily belong to the same plant? Choosing Mongolia to botanise in does create quite a challenge!

Contribution from Susan Read 05 February 2013, 10:57top / bottom of page

As google said 'check your spelling'. Boschniakia.

A case of getting the letters right but not necessarily in the right order.

Tim, the Altai in Mongolia has long been on my list of places to visit. One thing about these areas which I find appealing is that so many plants are circumboreal and hence are at least similar to familiar plants.

Contribution from Susan Read 15 February 2013, 14:28top / bottom of page

Just a few more pictures: Another gentian picture, and what are probably an Arenaria and an Astragalus.

There have been no comments on that primula like flower! It would be rather late flowering but so would the Pulsatilla. Is it, as first it appeared, a very handsome scabious? Another more detailed picture might cast some light.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Mongolia - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion