Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Mayrhofen

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Last of the Summer

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 23 October 2013, 14:50. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 17 September 2012, 16:25top / bottom of page

I returned for a visit at the end of August and beginning of September...not ideal for flowers but it could have been good weather for walking. In fact only a few days were sunny and the cloud was down much of the time, especially after one day of snowfall down to about 2000m with 18 inches of new snow at 3000m. For this reason quite a bit of my walking was in woodland. For me alpine plants, as discussed in another thread, include the sub-alpine growing along the way to the high alps both in meadow and woodland and if they are in a well known book entitled Alpine Flowers I do not think twice about it.

Following path 2 under the Penken lift on August 27th and in sunshine

Adenostyles alliariae, Centaurium sp ?erythrosum and Campanula ?trachelium

These large campanulas were very common and variable and I was not sure whwether I was looking at C. latifolia or trachelium. Unfortunately my shadow is on the flower but it does show that underexposure improves blue rendition!

An 'alpine' plant under the conifers, Geastrum sp or earthstar

One of the highlights of late summer, Gentiana asclepiades wich will grow both at roadsides and in the true high alps

Polygala chamaebuxus just about managing to flower

On this walk Astegg makes a convenient refreshment pause. The back lit meadow was a truly amazing shade of luminous green which on inspection was largely due to dandelion. This seems to be taking over at the expense of more interesting meadow flowers along with pale green plastic wrapped bales of haylage

A couple of days later I returned to the upper Stilluptal, and its cattle. Plants not eaten included picnic thistle and wood ragwort, Senecio ovatis.

The G. asclepiades here was willowy in appearance

At the reservoir a foreign invader which was all too common though attractive

August ended with heavy rain all day and snow at altitude. A low level walk the next day to a waterfall just down the valley (Keilkeller at Schwendau)

Gentians are even more willowy. Himalayan balsam occurs in various shades along with Jupiter's distaff, Salvia glutinosa which was fairly frequent in woodland

Contribution from Tim Ingram 18 September 2012, 08:46top / bottom of page

Susan - I've never heard Carlina called 'picnic thistle' before - that sounds a misnomer if ever there was! The views of the woodland and waterfall are tremendous. True alpines gain so much by the journey up to find them.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Mayrhofen - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion