Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Kitzbuhel and the Alpine Garden on the Kitbuheler Horn

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

A visit at the end of June last year

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 23 June 2011, 10:06. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 14 June 2011, 21:00top / bottom of page

This garden at nearly 1900m contains both native and Himalayan/Asian species. At least one plant of most species is labelled or at least that was the case last year on 27th June. Anemone narcissiflora, Pedicularis ?rostratocapitata, Silene acaulis

Gentiana punctata, rock covered with Clematis alpina and Pulsatilla alpina

In the Asian section

Contribution from Susan Read 14 June 2011, 21:26top / bottom of page

A scree area to the top of the area was yet to flower except for a colourful display of poppies.

Outside of the garden path 32A was fairly rewarding

Contribution from Shelagh Smethurst 18 June 2011, 15:58top / bottom of page

Being very lazy and just looking at the thumbnails I kept thinking what is that yellow plant that appeared in profusion? A quick click and I realised they were the labels, I know its handy to have them but a pity they are so intrusive.

Contribution from Susan Read 20 June 2011, 11:19top / bottom of page

Hi Shelagh

I agree about the labels but the garden is visited by so many people that I imagine people are discouraged from leaving the paths and causing damage. The pictures show it as it was and as you might guess I am lazy about typing out plant names. I wondered about putting the entry under Plants in the Wild but the garden is associated with the Flower Trail (path 32A)

The link http://www.kitzbuehel.com/en/activities/excursions/detail.htm?id=240.

gives more info

Contribution from Susan Read 23 June 2011, 10:06top / bottom of page

Has anyone been to Kitzbuehel in summer recently? Last year I found mountain bikes were very popular. This made the lower steep paths less suited to walkers, in fact slightly hazardous. Most flowers were to be found above the mid cable car station. Salvia verticillata

escaped the mower but being good weather most meadows had just been cut as the picture shows.

A meadow rather typical of the lower slopes...probably better for hay than flower seekers!

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Kitzbuhel and the Alpine Garden on the Kitbuheler Horn - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion