Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Kitzbuehel in late May

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 04 June 2014, 20:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 04 June 2014, 15:46top / bottom of page

A bargain deal for the last week of May drew me to Kitzbuehel once more. Good weather on the first day made it necessary to forsake the hotel and stroll up the Hahnenkamm, just behind where we were staying.

Walking through the woodland most early spring flowers were familiar, but not this one....perhaps a loosestrife.

Primula elatior was still flowering, then nearer the top I saw my first spring gentian near the top of the famous ski run.

Contribution from Susan Read 04 June 2014, 16:31top / bottom of page

The second day I went to the Kitzbueheler Horn to see the Alpengarten and a new geology trail, the Karstweg. This path has been created to display the limestone features (Devonian dolomite) and the sink holes, known as ponors.

In the Alpengarten most flowers were native with just a few from the Himalayas.

The area of the Karst trail was good for flowers and in May there was no sign of cattle grazing. The route was shown on a board...

The last few crocus were out amid acres of leaves. 

For me the main attraction was the quantity of gentians though identifying them was tricky.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Kitzbuehel in late May - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion