Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Indian Himalayas

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Garhwal in May 2008

Go to latest contribution by Keshab Pradhan, 30 July 2012, 11:05. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 26 January 2011, 10:13top / bottom of page

The proposed AGS trip to the Indian Himalayas reminded me of a trek I did in Garhwal, a region about 100 miles to the east. I chose late spring largely because that is in the usual trekking season, so was readily available. We had unexpected storms (premonsoon) and slushy snow on some of the higher areas where we should have been camping on flowery meadows. The rhodo dendrons were nice but it was too early for much of interest.

The primulas, I took to be P. petiolaris (any comment?)

I think they had suffered from rain and low cloud made for dark photographic conditions

At times we walked under a canopy of R. campanulatum

Rhododendron arboreum was the more common species

Primula denticulata was the only other primula inflower at that time

Above the tree-line cotoneaster lined the route (compactly trimmed by goats!)

Contribution from Susan Read 26 January 2011, 11:19top / bottom of page

The shepherds seemed to have become goatherds, the goats presumably prized for their pashmina hair.

At higher altitudes and in damper conditions sheep grazed closely but did not eat the roots of plants.

Villages were a feature of this trek (known as Kauri pass or Curzon's route). Unlike Nepal the people did not cater to visitors but were very friendly.

The highlight of one day was Paeonia emodi

I believe this is Rosularia rosulata.

Locally very common, Iris kumaonensis in various shades

There were a few blue corydalis ..would this be C. cashmeriana?

There were a few plants of Saxifraga ?roylei

More P denticulata, of which there were more than just a few. Near the melting snow on the high meadows there were carpets of them.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Indian Himalayas - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion