Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Images of alpines

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Cliff Booker

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 10 March 2014, 09:45. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 02 March 2014, 20:51top / bottom of page

If you appreciate stunning images of alpine plants in their natural habitats, then please visit this amazing site:-

http://www.claudiopia.it/3_Fiori_d_alta_quota.htm

Contribution from Tim Ingram 10 March 2014, 09:45top / bottom of page

Some of those pictures are astonishingly beautiful Cliff. I prefer the more natural photographs, particularly Saxifraga oppositifolia, Gentiana verna, Silene acaulis - the picture with Vanessa is lovely, wonderful background colouring - and Leontopodium alpinum. I could do with a few more overcast skies(!); much of my memories of climbing in the mountains relate to 'bad' weather which is so much a part of the environment. The photo of Saxifraga florulenta is something else; such a rare plant and I've never seen a picture in flower, just a perfect rosette in the AGS Bulletin. I wish it was so easy to grow some of these plants as beautifully in the garden too - there are moments, and slowly one gets better at what one does, but you don't get a sense of movement unless you can string a story together with such wonderful photographs. Just imagine a Natural History programme capturing some of this? Any chance of that do you think?

This discussion Thread: Images of alpines - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion