Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Hohe Tauern early June

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Austria, one day on the Grossglockner High Road

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 24 July 2012, 13:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 06 March 2012, 10:37top / bottom of page

The picture above is I believe Primula farinosa and what appears to be alpine coltsfoot.

Most tourists are attracted to the marmots...not to be fed but the animals are to be found close to the roadside.

Zooming in on the Grossglockner it seemed to have less snow near the top than when I climbed it.

Below, although the glacier has disappeared, the scene is interesting

At the end of the day the weather was still good. Tour coaches make a stop at a cafe (and an animal park) at the bottom of the toll road. Quite a pleasant spot but I could have used more time up at the top.

Contribution from Susan Read 06 March 2012, 11:18top / bottom of page

Have added cropped primula...really too sturdy for P. farinosa but rather early for P longiflora? It was out of reach for close inspection. All around Primula minima was just in flower but not as plentiful as in the previous June

Contribution from Rick Lambert 23 July 2012, 23:15top / bottom of page

Was there no Saxifraga rudolphiana at the end of the path?

My last visit there was impossible as I could only get through one tunnel because of the late and heavy snow fall.

Rick

Contribution from Susan Read 24 July 2012, 13:19top / bottom of page

Afraid I did not follow the path (Gamsgrubenweg?). Starting out along the tunnel I relised I was short of time having a tour bus to catch. I hope to go yet again. My aim with this thread was to show that a tour company excursion can be worthwhile even though it can be a bit frustrating.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Hohe Tauern early June - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion