Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Hohe Tauern early June

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Austria, one day on the Grossglockner High Road

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 24 July 2012, 13:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 14 June 2010, 21:33top / bottom of page

During a visit to Austria one day ,June 11th, was spent on the Grossglockner alpine road. The view is of the shrinking Pasterze Glacier and the Glockner range.

Primula minima covered wide areas

Also widespread, Pulsatilla alba?

Lloydia serotina was locally common

Soldanella alpina grew thickly, often close to the edge of the road

Pulsatilla vernalis was not quite so wide spread

P. vernalis in bud, showing its special relationship with digital cameras.....almost every hair showing distinctly!

Early June seemed a good time for this very lazy excursion, not too many tourists and not too much snow. The remainder of the week was spent walking in the Tyrol, with a good range of woodland and alpine plants

The last three were all taken in the Tyrol in the Kaiser Gebirge or on the Hohe Salve, close to the resort of Soell, of which more some other time.

Contribution from Susan Read 06 March 2012, 09:48top / bottom of page
Return to the Grossglockner High Alpine Road

I enjoyed one 'return' visit in the article in the last December Bulletin, and thought it might be of interest to report on the journey last year on May 24th, nearly 6 weeks earlier than the author's visit. One confession, my trips were on a tour coach . It does not seem possible to hire a car once you are in a mountain village. It can be frustrating not being able to stop where one chooses but I found the trip very worthwhile

Return to the Grossglockner High Alpine Road

Nearing the end of the road there were no more snow banks and things seemed much as on June 11th the year before.

The main pedestrian area is extensive. I had not wanted to visit it previously, because I had seen it from the Grossglockner in July some years before when it appeared to be crawling with people like ants.

Contribution from Susan Read 06 March 2012, 10:13top / bottom of page

The buildings on the left (previous picture) are of course for car parking. Just before this area it is permissable to explore the rather steep banks. Already flowers were quite good...Geum reptans, Gentiana acaulis and Lloydia serotina just opening.

Pulsatilla alba, Soldanella alpina

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Hohe Tauern early June - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion