Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Gentiana urnula

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Photographed Everest area in mid August

Go to latest contribution by Luc Gilgemyn, 12 May 2009, 15:01. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 13 April 2009, 14:02top / bottom of page

August seems earlier than the books would suggest and some of the plants are bigger than seen in books. Any other sightings?

Contribution from John Richards 13 April 2009, 17:58top / bottom of page

What a super plant! I assume that is Arenaria glanduligera that is growing with it?

Contribution from Susan Read 17 April 2009, 15:53top / bottom of page

Yes, but I am not sure about the dark green leafy thing below. I wondered about radiant heat absorption by the neighbouring plants, whether this advanced the growth. On the other hand other plants were doing quite well on their own....see next pic, if I have got the right thumbnail!

Contribution from Sandra Rice 04 May 2009, 12:04top / bottom of page
Gentiana urnula

A super plant, must have been an exciting find. Can you give us any idea of the altitude and aspect of where this was growing?

Contribution from Susan Read 09 May 2009, 11:52top / bottom of page

About 5500m, open sunny aspect. Most mornings covered with snow/frost. I have just returned from Langtang, where at 4000m large areas are covered with gentians with imbricated leaves...Mierow book suggests G. amoena. Internet search suggests these might be synonymous with urnula, though picture looks rather like G. depressa. Any help on sorting these gentians?

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 12 May 2009, 15:01top / bottom of page

Formidable image of G. urnula Susan - only just found it now - Thanks very much for showing !

I became a member of the AGS in the early ninetees and I saw a just as stunning picture of G. urnula in one of the first bulletins I ever received - it got stuck in my mind ever since !

This discussion Thread: Gentiana urnula - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion