Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Flowers of Cyprus

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

Go to latest contribution by David Nicholson, 31 March 2010, 18:49. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 14 January 2010, 20:51top / bottom of page

I am visiting Western Cyprus in March and I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a wild flower book that I can use, hopefully in the field. Also the Akamas peninsula is an obvious choice to visit but what about other sites? Any comments please.

Contribution from Susan Read 19 January 2010, 16:25top / bottom of page

In the absence of any experts on Cyprus, I offer one comment.

The only field book I found for a visit over 10 years ago was Sfikas...Wild flowers of Cyprus...ISBN 960226 266 4. The pictures are not very inspiring. The bibliography includes Meikle R D (2 vols)

Contribution from Mel Linney 19 January 2010, 16:52top / bottom of page

Thanks for that Susan I'm having the same problem finding something to cover the flora of Cyprus and Meikle's two volumes would be a bit much for the field. I purchased a book by the author you mention about the flowers of Greece and that left a lot to be desired too.

Contribution from David Hoare 20 January 2010, 13:14top / bottom of page

Mel.

I found Mediterranean Wild Flowers by Marjorie Blamey & Christopher Grey-Wilson very helpfull and easy to carry.

The Salt Lake at Akrotiri near the Cat Sancture is good for orchids and further down the coast opposite Larnaca airport is another salt lake also good for orchids and were you might see Flamingos,and a very old mosque.

We always stop at Pissouri Bay were there is one super hotel called The Columbia Beach. And a good eating place is the Bunch of Grapes in Pissouri Village.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes David.

Contribution from Mel Linney 18 March 2010, 08:03top / bottom of page

Thanks David for your advice,I purchased the book you recommended and found it invaluable. We arrived back home last night at 8pm after a wonderful two weeks and I will be posting a some pictures over the next few days. In the meantime I will be, hopefully, getting some plants ready for the East Lancs Show on Saturday.

Mel.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 18 March 2010, 10:01top / bottom of page

We look forward to welcoming you and your lovely plants to East Lancs on Saturday, Mel ... glad you enjoyed your break in the sun.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 18 March 2010, 10:23top / bottom of page

Too late for Mel, but other visitors might be interested. This came from a non AGS member (Roland) who asked us to post it.

D.E.Viney: An illustrated Flora of North Cyprus (Most plants grow also in the south) RHS library.

Sonia Halliday: A photographers eye view of the Flowers of Northern Cyprus. RHS library

Christos ch Georgiades: Flowers of Cyprus - Plants of medicine Vol. I and II (Bookshops and souvenir shops)

The flora of Cyprus from meilke is probably a little bit too heavy 2 big vol.

Look forward to seeing your pictures Mel.

Contribution from Mel Linney 21 March 2010, 21:13top / bottom of page

Before I begin, let me say that I am not a Botanist and identyfying plants in the field is rather new to me.That said I have enjoyed every minute of my botanising experience and I am eager to go on my next foray. I used 'Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean' by Marjory Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson in the field and www.natureofcyprus.org/plants as cross reference. I hope that I have correctly identified everything but if not please feel free to add your comments.

We flew into Pafos on 3rd March enjoying a sea of yellow flowers as we landed

Oxalis pescaprae [invasive introduction].

Calendula arvensis

Chrysanthemum coronarium [crown daisy]

Mimosa [can anyone identify this common tree].

Ferula communis[giant fennel]. This specimen was almost three meters tall.

Elaine and I wanted to see the spring flowers and Elaines brother Geoff and his wife Margaret were interested in the archaeology and history of the island so we put together an itinerary to suit everyone including rest days for other interests. On the first day we visited the harbour area and the Pafos Archaeological Site.

Entrance to the Pafos Mosaics.

Some plants on the way to the first house.

Papaver rhoeas

Limonium sinuatum.

Gladiolus italicus.

Contribution from Mel Linney 21 March 2010, 22:29top / bottom of page

More about Pafos Archaeological site later.

Contribution from Mel Linney 22 March 2010, 07:27top / bottom of page

Allium neapolitanum

Gynandriris sisyrinchium

Bank of Cyclamen

With the variation of leaf markings and flower colur in that bank it is easy to see why the hybridists chose this species as a parent for the 'florists Cyclamen'.

Cyclamen persicum

Contribution from Mel Linney 22 March 2010, 07:49top / bottom of page
Some archaeology on the site

Pyramos and Thisbe in the House of Dionysos.This is a story of two star struck lovers from different, hostile families.Sounds familiar!

Some archaeology on the site

Thesius and the Minotaur in the house of Thesius.This is a story of the battle between Thesius and the Minotaur, part Man part beast.

This is the full mosaic and the detail is amazing.

Part of the hypocaust [Roman central heating] in the House of Thesius.

The Pafos archaeological site is certainly worth a visit for the mosaics alone and when we bought the 'Guide to the Paphos Mosaics' published by the Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation it told us the legends and history of the site. Certainly worth reading.

A very interesting day for everyone and seeing the Cyclamen in flower hit the spot for Elaine and me.

Next instalment will be about our visit to the Akamas peninsula just out of Latchi.

Contribution from David Nicholson 23 March 2010, 12:25top / bottom of page

I enjoyed those Mel, thanks for posting and I am looking forward to the next set.

Contribution from Susan Read 23 March 2010, 15:12top / bottom of page

Yes, looking forward to some more. I was there in January, over 10 years ago. Anemone coronaria was good near Paphos, but it was probably too early for cyclamen.

Contribution from Mel Linney 25 March 2010, 09:28top / bottom of page
The Akamas Peninsula

Travelling from Pafos through Polis and Latchi we arrived at the Aphrodite trail. We spent a while enjoying the magnificent views of a landscape studded with wild flowers, particularly Cyclamen and Anemones.

The Cyclamen seem happy to grow in any nook and cranny.

Two quite distinct colours of Cyclamen persicum.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Flowers of Cyprus - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion