Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Everest region in September

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by John Humphries, 07 December 2009, 19:53. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 17 October 2009, 20:04top / bottom of page

Have just returned from trek at end September. Magnificent displays of Gentiana ornata, plus depressa,algida,?carinata. Leontopodium still doing well, many yellow saxifrages,cremanthodiums. Much more plus some unseasonal rhododendrons

unknown borage

Gentiana ?carinata

Contribution from Susan Read 17 October 2009, 20:28top / bottom of page

At over 5000m near base camp

All pics taken with Olympus Camedia D-435

Contribution from David Nicholson 18 October 2009, 19:52top / bottom of page

Lovely images Susan, and from a part of the world I shall never have the opportunity to see. It's a great pity that they will only be seen by an extremely limited audience here.

Contribution from Susan Read 21 October 2009, 19:11top / bottom of page

Thank you for your comments. Apologies for having 3 of the pictures on their sides...borage, tanacetum and delphinium. It amazes me that so few people actually trekking are interested in the flowers...springtime and September are popular times, worthwhile for flowers and can cost much the same as 2 weeks in the Alps. Have added Comastoma pedunculatum, which I have never seen before...a small flower which makes a very impressive carpet.

Can anyone identify that member of the borage family?

Contribution from John Richards 08 November 2009, 17:20top / bottom of page

Hi Susan,

I wonder if the borage is Microula sikkimensis? The photos I have show a leggier plant, but apparently it can be only 10 cm, and the leaves look right. It is a high scree plant. The rhodo is R. setosum, also Bistorta amplexicaulis, Tanacetum gossypinum, Delphinium brunonianum, and I am sure you are right about Gentiana algida. Super things!

Contribution from Susan Read 15 November 2009, 13:02top / bottom of page

Thanks John. I am inclined to agree about Microula. The 1st pic I found on Google images for M. sikkimensis is very similar except for the height, having leaves with bristles (which were not obvious on the AGS site picture). It was outside the quoted altitude range, at about 4900m just before Lobuche. Most pics I found including Yoshida show it as a tall meadow plant! This was on a gravel bank near next picture.

Cropped to show leaves

Sorry! computer insists on sending uncropped version. email would send what I want.

Incidentally flowering Rh. setosum ocurred several times, no Rh nivale in flower. Rh. anthopogon had lemon flowers (near Dughla)

I am not sure how to distinguish between Delphinium brunonianum and glaciale...is the shape of the bloom ditinctive?

Contribution from john lee 15 November 2009, 16:50top / bottom of page

Very nice images Susan, I hope you have more for us to enjoy thank you for posting.That will increase the audiance by one David.

Contribution from Susan Read 23 November 2009, 16:13top / bottom of page

On first day of trek, 21st Sept, Lukla to Phakding walked about 3 hours plus stops. Arrived at Lukla in sunshine

Clouds built up during day

Plants seen on first day included Geranium procurrens

Hypericum choisianum (I think)

Satyrium nepalense..quite commom

Saxifraga parnassifolia..very frequent

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Everest region in September - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion