Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Everest Region in August

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Go to latest contribution by Susan Read, 05 April 2010, 16:11. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 08 January 2010, 09:49top / bottom of page

A few pictures for comparison with September pictures and for comparison with Tibet (AGS Tours). Two treks were undertaken one in 2006 and the other in 2007.

The ones to follow were taken at 4500m and above. Meconopsis horridula was the most eye catching and this was the first one seen near Dughla but to the west of the normal trekking route (which was flooded)

Between Lobuche and Gorak Shep they occurred beside the trekking path (5000m)

They seem to fit the description for horidula but lack yellow stamens

Waldheimia glabra is fairly common

Primula ?caveana

A rock garden at about 5500m

I think the above are all Saussurea simpsoniana though I had previously thought the closed white one would be gossypiphora

The small blue flower (sorry not very sharp) looked like an Onosma and fitted the key for O. waltonii. Any comments?

Contribution from Susan Read 08 January 2010, 19:26top / bottom of page

At 5000m just after Lobuche. This place is about 30 miles from Kharta in Tibet...as the crow or raven flies. Primula sikkimensis

Another natural rock garden at over 5000m.

Primula ?tibetica

Cremanthodium ellisii...a bit damaged.

Swertia multicaulis. The above 2 were taken in 2006. All taken about 14th-15th August.

One of the obstacles at Dughla

It really was a raging torrent.

Pumori ..Everest was hidden

Finally the cloud lifted as the sun broke through

Everest in the middle, Nuptse on the right.

Contribution from Margaret Thorne 11 January 2010, 13:07top / bottom of page

Thanks for your pictures, Susan. I think your small blue flower might be Veronica lanuginosa before it is fully open. I am sure you are right in identifying the Saussurea as all simpsoniana and Meconopsis horridula stamens do seem to go dark as they get older. We have found Primula caveana in two distinct variations: large flowered, scented and small flowered, unscented. Perhaps these are variations of the same species or closely related different species. There seem to be a couple of other possibilities in John's book.

Contribution from Susan Read 12 January 2010, 10:40top / bottom of page

Thanks. I had thought of V. lanuginosa until I noticed the leaves and hairs look different from the pics in the books (inc. Yoshida).

The 3 log bridge above had disappeared in 2007 and on the way down on the other side of the river we also saw a small tea house at Dughla swept away. Picture taken moments before in appalling weather

The tarpaulin covered some of the furniture etc rescued. The 3 logs of the bridge were also saved and by last Sept had been used to build a slightly more substantial structure upstream

Contribution from Susan Read 12 January 2010, 17:06top / bottom of page

Trekking in the monsoon obviously can have problems. Just getting started is not so easy. In 2006 we had 3 early morning trips to the airport for the flight to Lukla, before finally getting there. In 2007 it was a surprise to land at Phaplu, which is 3 days walk from Lukla. Fortunately after an hour or two we completed the flight to Lukla.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Everest Region in August - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion