Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Wild

Plants in the Wild: Alpine Garden Society Expedition to China 1994

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Clive Boyce

15th Anniversary reunion

Go to latest contribution by Peter Regan, 14 November 2009, 21:39. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Clive Boyce 02 October 2009, 22:57top / bottom of page

The 15th anniversary of the completion of ACE occurs in October this year. The Expedition was described in detail in the Bulletin (1996 64 122 - 266). Many members obtained seed from the AGS Seed Exchange and through subscription. The initial results were outstanding with a very high percentage of the seed collections germinating . It would be very interesting to hear from members which collections are still surviving and which have made a special impact in gardens or on the show bench. The Expedition members are holding a reunion in late November and any comments in good time for their meeting would be much appreciated.

Contribution from Rosemary Cox 15 October 2009, 12:58top / bottom of page
ACE in the garden

Having moved I left several established plants in the garden - I guess they've been overrun by horsetails and building works now. I brought with me Iris barbatula (1647) - one of the original plants in a pot and several progeny now in the garden: peat bed/sand for one and the sand pile for another. All flower & seed. Codonopsis sp (1626) seedlings from an original, in a container to avoid slugs, flowers and fruits. Allium sp (2343) a seedling of the original which I left which flowers & fruits well in the old garden, pollinated exclusively by wasps. Finally Cyananthus longiflorus (1963) growing in a trough flowering and seeding well, possibly original plant with self sown seedlings.

Contribution from Peter Regan 14 November 2009, 21:39top / bottom of page
Does anyone know the Salvia spp. from this Expedition?

My wife Gillian & I were participants in a trip to Yunnan in June this year which followed most of the route of the ACE expedition. Members on the trip are collaborating in identifying the plants we saw. One Salvia we found is similar to ACE 62. Has anyone grown this and identified it?

Does anyone know the Salvia spp. from this Expedit

This discussion Thread: Alpine Garden Society Expedition to China 1994 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Wild
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion