Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Wildlife in the garden

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Humphries

Current images of wildlife activity as we garden.

Go to latest contribution by Colin Dolding, 27 May 2009, 08:53. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Humphries 16 April 2009, 00:42top / bottom of page
High Rise Apartment Block

We have a few nest boxes scattered around, some of which are more popular than others.

However it never ceases to amaze me how readily any appropriate residence is taken up. In this case a stack of crates with dormant roscoeas.

I want to split them up to water them as too dry and I'll have problems.

High Rise Apartment Block

However lifting the top crate off a couple of weeks ago I discovered a Robin's nest with a single egg, then 2 finally 5. Now for the past few days they've been feeding and cleaning house.

As if that were not enough, downstairs we have a pair of Wren's busy on the same activity although at least a week later than the Robins.

I'll have to set up to try and get some pictures of the Wren chicks as they take their first flight, they really are about the size of a bumble bee at that stage.

Contribution from Margaret Young 16 April 2009, 18:58top / bottom of page

How charming to have these attractive neighbours, John. What a stroke of luck that Roscoeas come so late into growth.... nesting should be well over by the time you really need to move the crates. I am a little surprised that the robin and wren are prepared to share such close accommodation in an artificial setting ......I presume neither family is partying till dawn??!!

Contribution from Colin Dolding 27 May 2009, 08:53top / bottom of page

Holly Blue butterfly (male) on the hawthorn and bramble hedge at home. It refused to settle on any flowers!

A day old Mottled Houdan chick just waiting to grow up and destroy rows of alpine cuttings!

This discussion Thread: Wildlife in the garden - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion