Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Spring 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Susan Read

Galanthus

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 24 February 2012, 21:49. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Susan Read 18 February 2010, 10:31top / bottom of page
Snowdrops have their uses

Spring arrived yesterday in my garden (on chalky clay not too far from Reading). Whatever people feel about snowdrops, they form a splendid backdrop to the more colourful gems which only open in the sun.

Snowdrops have their uses

Contribution from Chris McGregor 18 February 2010, 15:13top / bottom of page

Hi Susan - many thanks for posting this picture. You certainly have a lovely display in your garden. Our garden at home is a 'work in progress' and we are trying to build up a selection of bulbs to create more colour.

As I write this it is snowing heavily and the garden at Pershore has a covering of about an inch and it is still coming down. Certainly unusual weather for Worcestershire.

Contribution from Susan Read 23 February 2010, 11:03top / bottom of page

By Saturday 20th Feb the above C. tomasinianus had been browsed away. Muntjac are the usual culprits. Any ideas for deterring them? The take almost anything attractive. Fortunately (depending on your taste) there were plenty elsewhere in the garden.

Contribution from Susan Read 08 March 2010, 13:03top / bottom of page

Not being a snowdrop expert I was intrigued to find this one with 5 outer petals. Would it have a name. ..applanate leaves..some markings yellowish others dull green

Side view. Diameter is 5cm.

Contribution from John Richards 17 March 2010, 09:36top / bottom of page

I too am no snowdrop expert Susan, but I think your yellowish double snowdrop is 'Lady Elphinstone'. It is characteristic of it not to be consistent in its yellow marking, either within the plant, or between seasons.

Contribution from Susan Read 18 March 2010, 17:51top / bottom of page

Thankyou John. I shall have to try to remember where it is for next year. Have added another picture with curiosities or runts!

After the snowdrops

Not everything is late down here in the south. Primroses have flowered spasmodically as usual but are now putting on a good display.

After the snowdrops

February Gold has been delayed. This was taken this morning.

Tete a tete also. Chionodoxa, same date as last year, but scilla nowhere to be seen. One curiosity is that Crocus verna ?'Pickwick' has been coming up all over the place...last planted by me about 20 years ago and not seen recently.

Hellebores are now well up. Almost all my seedlings have turned out this colour. Any reason for this? Pheasant and muntjac are still eating things but not hellebores or snowdrops.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 18 January 2011, 17:18top / bottom of page

In spring 2010, Simon Bond gave me a single non flowering sized bulb of Galanthus "Vic Horton", this has amazed me by appearing this year with 4 flowering bulbs and 5 small leaves. It was the first to flower outside for me, opening yesterday and opened fully in todays beautiful sunshine.

Elwesii and "Edward Elgar" should be open later this week.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 19 January 2012, 16:57top / bottom of page

On the Scottish Rock forum snowdrops get almost too much attention! Here hardly any at all, but there must be a smattering of Galanthophiles looking in...

In Kent there are a number of good snowdrop gardens, and whilst there isn't the great interest as found in other parts of the country (especially in snowdrop events like the Gala), there are more gardeners getting fascinated by these 'moreish' plants. The Kent Hardy Plant Society are holding their 'Snowdrop & Hellebore Extravaganza' on Sunday 19th February at Goodnestone Park. Details are on the poster below.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 24 February 2012, 21:49top / bottom of page

We were extremely lucky with the weather for the snowdrop and hellebore day; the snow melting just in time and allowing the snowdrops to come on and look really good. Unfortunately the cold weather held back the hellebores and these were not too much in evidence - hopefully better luck next year.

Well over 500 people came to the day at Goodnestone and were rewarded with good sunny weather, a fine talk from Rod Leeds (well about 70 of them!) and some nice plants from a range of nurseries. A good day all round. We also made a 'snowdrop' cake to share with the owner of the garden who has been a good friend of the Kentish plant societies over the years. A few examples of the day and snowdrops:

G. 'Barbara's Double'; G. 'Kite'; Early spring colour; Dramatic setting;

Snowdrops amongst the trees; Plant sale; Snowdrop cake & exhibit. We also had an AGS display at the day with information about the Spring Show at Rainham and old Bulletins for people to take away.

Finally three snowdrops looking good in the garden. 'Mrs Thompson' is well known for its large flowers, often with four or more outer tepals, and makes an imposing and very effective variety in the garden. 'Wendy's Gold', also very well known and a fine plant - much the most robust of 'yellows' in our garden. I think Joe Sharman should be awarded a medal for saving this plant after the loss of so much material as recorded in the Snowdrop Book. Finally a form of G. elwesii var. monostictus that came originally from Kath Dryden under the old name caucasicus Late Form. This is a superb foliage plant with distinctly silver-grey leaves and really quite good flowers. If anyone knows more of its history...

This discussion Thread: Spring 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion