Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Species crocus coming up early and blind?

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Paul Lewis

Go to latest contribution by Ron Mudd, 20 January 2012, 20:21. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Paul Lewis 17 January 2012, 08:29top / bottom of page

I constructed a new raised bed rock garden last summer and it was planted out in August, September and October. Hundreds of plants were planted as well as a variety of around 500 dwarf bulbs. Due to the extremely mild weather around Christmas and the New Year period, many of these bulbs started to appear (leafy growth not blooms). I have noticed that many of the species crocus varieties such as 'Romance', 'Snow Bunting' and 'Blue Pearl' appear to have come up blind, as in they are all leaf and there appears to be no blooms?

Will the blooms develop over the coming weeks or is that it for this year? The soil in the raised bed was perfectly prepared with compost, topsoil and grit for drainage. Fish, blood and bone was also added to the soil mix in small quantities.

Any ideas as to why the bulbs have come up blind?

Contribution from Ron Mudd 17 January 2012, 14:35top / bottom of page

I would be very suprised if you dont get any blooms Paul. I think you will see the flowers developing from the centre point of the leaves over the next few weeks. At least I hope so as my crocuses are in a similar stage of development to yours!

Contribution from Ron Mudd 20 January 2012, 20:21top / bottom of page

Also would you be so good Paul to post a few pictures of the blooms when they do arrive? Thanks!

This discussion Thread: Species crocus coming up early and blind? - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion