Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Raised Bed or Rockery

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

What to do with a large pile of clay?

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 17 October 2011, 19:42. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 29 June 2011, 23:16top / bottom of page

Th pond is full of newts now and there are toads in the garden so we have high hopes that they will take up residence as well.

We also have a more formal pond near the house - goldfish and plenty of dragonflies, but no other wildlife.

Contribution from John Good 17 October 2011, 19:42top / bottom of page

Jim mentions Mimulus cardinalis and suggests that it might be a thug. I can assure you that there is no 'might be' about it, especially in a damp garden such as mine here in N. Wales., where it grows from nothing to cover several square metres of ground each season, including climbing through camellias trained against a wall to well over 2 metres! So why do I still have it? Because it is so eye catching and in actual fact it is not too difficult to curb as it is mainly a surface rooter, although back at base it forms quite a resistant clump. If my garden was smaller it would have to go, but as I get older something which covers a lot of ground, keeps down the weeds, and is continuously in flower throughout the summer and well into autumn has its attraction.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Raised Bed or Rockery - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion