Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: RHS Wisley in February 2011

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 21 February 2011, 18:05. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 09 February 2011, 15:05top / bottom of page
A Sunny day at last

Hi

I made an impromptu visit to Wisley yesterday; it was an unexpectedly sunny day, and the ground was bursting into life. I don't have time for a detailed traveloque; there weren't many people around the garden, but there was a steady stream heading for the new glasshouse which is full of butterflies at the moment (and photographers). No pictures from there I'm afraid - it was too steamy hot and busy, and I didn't want to wait while my camera de-fogged.

My trip round the garden started on Battleston Hill, with a few early rhododendrons, and the witch-hazel in full bloom.

A Sunny day at last
Meconopsis napaulensis

The frost was just melting from the leaves of this meconopsis.

Meconopsis napaulensis
Cyclamen coum

Of course, underfoot there were big patches of snowdrops, and cyclamen coum.

Cyclamen coum
The Meadow and Rock Garden

The bulbs in the bank above the meadow and rock garden have also woken up, and the ground was a mass of Crocus tommasianus, Galanthus, and one memorable patch of Iris George.

The Meadow and Rock Garden

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: RHS Wisley in February 2011 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion