Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Plant identification please.

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Husbands

I have this plant growing in the corner of a raised bed and have lost the label.

Go to latest contribution by Cliff Booker, 08 May 2008, 16:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Husbands 07 May 2008, 11:40top / bottom of page
A few pictures

I have this plant growing in the corner of a raised bed and have lost the label. It is no more than 2 cm high with a diameter of 8 to 9 cm. The foliage is minute and moss-like. The flowers are only cm in diameter and are a pale lilac, with slightly recurved petals. It grows in full sun; in an open gritty compost. Thank you,

A few pictures
Second picture (close-up of flowers)

Contribution from Cliff Booker 07 May 2008, 21:09top / bottom of page
Identification of plant

The flowers look very much like Petrocallis pyrenaica John.

Contribution from John Husbands 08 May 2008, 11:26top / bottom of page
Nice one Cliff!

Cliff, you are a gem, thank you very much! It is indeed Petrocallis pyrenaica. I thought I almost had the name ? ?on the tip of my tongue?, thinking for some reason that the name began with a ?H? . It has been bugging me for days; I looked in books and catalogues but nothing clicked my little grey-cells into gear! Ermm!???Do you have days like that?

Contribution from Cliff Booker 08 May 2008, 16:00top / bottom of page
Plant identification

Many, many, many John....now what were we talking about?

This discussion Thread: Plant identification please. - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion