Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Pershore Garden Early March

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Richard Jeffery, 18 March 2012, 10:39. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 16 March 2012, 19:48top / bottom of page

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the AGS Headquarters in Pershore for a meeting. It was a lovely sunny day, so I took the opportunity to walk round the garden, and take a few pictures of the early spring flowers.

Crocuses

The crocuses were responding well to the spring sunshine.

Crocuses
Iris unguicularis

In the warm bed under the windows of the office was Iris unguicularis. This was a much smaller form than the ones I grow, and possibly ssp. cretensis.

Iris unguicularis
Scilla bifolia

The rock garden was spotted with the blue of Scilla bifolia; it always seems happier in the garden than in pots.

Scilla bifolia
Eranthis cilicica

The highlight of the garden was the golden buds of Eranthis cilicica breaking through the soil in the shady side of the garden.

Eranthis cilicica
Helleborus orientalis hybrids

A little further into the sun, there is a big bed full of hellebore hybrids. I was experimenting with larger apertures than normal and shallow depths of field to try to separate the flowers from a rather cluttered background.

Helleborus orientalis hybrids

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Pershore Garden Early March - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion