Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Ostrowskia magnifica

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Shirley Tonkin

Go to latest contribution by Shirley Tonkin, 20 November 2015, 11:15. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Shirley Tonkin 20 November 2015, 03:22top / bottom of page

We live in the hills outside of Melbourne Victoria Aust. and would like to share my step-son's ability and our delight in being able to grow and flower the wonderful plant Ostrowskia magnifica.

The largest plant is about a metre high and has produced four buds. The first flower is now 3 days old and the other three buds are still a few days of opening.

Are there any secrets in making sure that we can get these plants to set us some seed?

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 20 November 2015, 09:06top / bottom of page

Hi Shirley, not a plant I've grown. I assume you only have one flowering plant and i do not know if it will self pollinate. Suggets you get a small paintbrush and tickle every flower with it in ithe hope of transferring pollen form one to the other thene keep your fingers crossed. If you have more than one plant then try to trasnfer pollen between them. Apologies if I'm "teaching granny to suck eggs"

Martin

Contribution from Shirley Tonkin 20 November 2015, 11:15top / bottom of page

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply.  We do have three other plants with only one bud on each so Tonky has crossed pollinated with a small brush. Found on the www that they might be pollinated by moth so we are going to try some evening brushing as well.

My theory with something rare is to cover all bases, so I tend to pollinate morning, noon and evening just in case they are more receptive at a certain time.

We will certainly keep our fingers crossed for success as they wonderful sight to behold.

This discussion Thread: Ostrowskia magnifica - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion