Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Mystery Plant

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 08 September 2010, 15:32. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 September 2010, 09:52top / bottom of page

Hi

Please could someone remind me of the name of this familiar, and attractive alpine. Both I and the grower have forgotten it.

Thanks

Jon

Contribution from Cliff Booker 07 September 2010, 17:10top / bottom of page

Hi Jon,

Looks a little tall for Golden Hawksbeard - Crepis aurea, but a closer image of the foliage might help to confirm?

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 September 2010, 19:12top / bottom of page

Hi Cliff

The plant is about 9 inches tall. The most distinctive feature was the neatness of the flowers, which had led me to be thinking along the lines of aster or bellis rather than crepis or hieracium.

The frustrating thing is that I remember this as something which was commonly grown ten years ago, but I haven't seen it around for a while.

Here is a closer view of the leaves.

Jon

Oh - I should add... flowering in May/June, not now.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 07 September 2010, 19:38top / bottom of page

Possibly Erigeron aurantiacus? The height is certainly right but I can't really recollect the foliage as it is ages since I have seen it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 September 2010, 20:53top / bottom of page

Thanks Cliff

I'm pretty sure that's it. I just 'googled' Erigeron aurantiacus and there are a number of photos which appear to be the same plant. There are several others which are white or lilac, but that's the web for you.

I hadn't seen it for ages either, until this summer. Strange that it seems to have gone out of fashion; it is a very attractive garden alpine.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 08 September 2010, 09:34top / bottom of page

... And quite easy to propagate from seed if I remember correctly? Strange how plant fads come and go?

That certainly looks a healthy specimen, Jon!

Contribution from Cliff Booker 08 September 2010, 09:59top / bottom of page

I don't know why the above message appears in triplicate ... I only posted it once! LOL.

I've sorted it for you Cliff. (Diane)

Contribution from Jon Evans 08 September 2010, 15:32top / bottom of page

I certainly hope it is easy to grow from seed. It isn't my plant, but I did beg some seed, so I hope it sprouts, and I can keep the seedlings happy. It seems to be present in last year's AGS seedlist, so someone must still grow it.

This discussion Thread: Mystery Plant - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion