Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Late April in the Garden

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 09 June 2014, 16:36. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 09 June 2014, 14:37top / bottom of page

Continuing my initiative to catch up with posting some of the pictures I have taken in my own garden this spring, with an emphasis on the plants rather than the photography.  I'm going to start with a few pictures from the greenhouse, before moving into the garden.

Moraea collina

I think this is Moraea (formerly Homeria) collina but I'm not sure.  Whichever it is, I have a few seedlings growing in my greenhouse, mainly in pots of other bulbs.  But four of the bulbs are now in a pot together, and I planned to take them to the London Show.  Such plans always invoke disaster, and molluscs felled three of the four branching flower stems overnight; I was left with two or three flowers instead of ten.  I'm sure the judges would have frowned on them anyway - too tall and like all South African bulbs regarded as questionably hardy, though I used to know someone who grew these very successfully in the open garden.

Moraea collina
Scilla peruviana SL254

This is a selected form of Scilla peruviana, with pink flowers and blue stamens.  Because it is new and different, I still keep it in the greenhouse, though the Scilla is thriving in the open garden, in a bed at the foot of the house wall.

Scilla peruviana SL254
Scilla peruviana

About 15 flowerheads this year.  I think this patch is about ready to be lifted and divided (or at least fed).

Scilla peruviana
Tropaeolum azureum

The most successful of the Tropaeolums this year.  Many of them refused to come into growth last autumn, perhaps in protest at being repotted, others collapsed for no good reason partway through the season, and none set seed this spring, despite efforts with the paintbrush.

Tropaeolum azureum
Nothoscordum montevidense

A tiny South American bulb which seems to be popular in America, but scarcely grown here; this was a very generous gift from a friend who grows it much better than I.  It is frustrating that I can't get it to set any seed.

Nothoscordum montevidense
Anemone prattii

I think this is one of the most beautiful of the anemones.  I am sure it would be happiest outdoors in a shady corner, but it would be vulnerable to the rampaging molluscs there, so for now it lives in a frame, where I am prepared to put down slugbait.

Anemone prattii
Allium Chameleon

This is one of my favourite small onions; I love the shades of pink it goes.

Allium Chameleon
Lychnis nivalis

This plant is growing in one of the newly planted crevice troughs, and seems to be OK so far (fingers crossed, touching wood).  I think it is a beautiful species, but it is one I find decidedly tricky.  Last year I tried it three times, and lost all three plants to collar-rot.  This may be its last chance.

Lychnis nivalis
Daphne Rosebud

I think this daphne is Rosebud, but its label has long since disappeared.  It seems reasonably happy in a tufa crevice in light shade.

Daphne Rosebud
Dicentra spectabilis

In one of my borders the pink and white forms of Dicentra spectabilis make a good display.  I photograph them every year, without ever getting a really striking photo; note to self - must try harder.

Dicentra spectabilis
Iberis gibraltarica Betty Swainson

This is a fabulous iberis; the flowers last forever, and are beautifully set off by the forgetmenots.

Iberis gibraltarica Betty Swainson

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Late April in the Garden - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion