Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: June in the Garden

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 18 July 2012, 09:55. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 10 July 2012, 20:32top / bottom of page

I know it is a bit late, but here is a collection of pictures taken in my own garden during June. The weather has been very damp here, as everywhere (fortunately in someways, since our hosepipe ban was only lifted this week), but working from home I have been able to nip out when the conditions were at their best. Many of these pictures were taken with my 90mm Macro lens - I have been experimenting with close ups and varying depth of field.

As with the May contribution, these plants will be in alphabetical order - the easiest way to make sure I post all the pictures I intend to.

Contribution from Jon Evans 10 July 2012, 21:38top / bottom of page
Aquilegia hybrids

My garden has far too many of these cottage garden aquilegias, but I do love the flowers, particularly the pale pink ones. I try to take off the dead heads before they seed, but there are still plenty of seedlings all over the place, in the crevice garden and anywhere I really don't want them. Still, they make lovely pictures.

Aquilegia hybrids
Armeria alliacea

This thrift is one which does very well here, whereas I find the little forms for the rock garden quite difficult and short-lived. I don't know whether there is a pink form; I have only ever seen this white. Does anyone grow a pink version of alliacea ?

Armeria alliacea
Astrantias

I have been trying to take some good close-ups of astrantia this year. It is one of my favourite border perennials; for some reason the deep red forms and white forms dwindle and die out here, and this mid-pink is the one which dominates. I have had several sessions photographing it, and the results are getting better, but I'm not sure I have yet got the perfect picture of it.

Astrantias
Mixed border

I liked this mix of colour which has occurred completely spontaneously.

Mixed border
Clematis Niobe
Clematis Niobe

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: June in the Garden - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion