Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: In the Garden at the end of May

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 18 June 2012, 17:39. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 30 May 2012, 23:31top / bottom of page
Erinus alpinus

Mainly the white form, which is my favourite, in late afternoon sun.

Erinus alpinus
Sedum pilosum

Must save the seed, it is wonderful (and monocarpic).

Sedum pilosum
Paeonia sp

I'm not sure what this is - it came to me as a seedling from Michael Baron about 8 years ago, but I have long since lost the label. It is a lovely colour anyway.

Paeonia sp
Gladiolus parvulus

A lovely summer flowering South African gladiolus, from Robin White. Just 6 inches high, with stems like thin wire.

Gladiolus parvulus
Schizanthus coccineus
Schizanthus coccineus
Cyanella lutea

Another South African bulb

Cyanella lutea
Hemerocallis middendorfii

A fabulous day lily, only 8 inches high.

Hemerocallis middendorfii
Dianthus sp

Is this pavonius ?

Dianthus sp

Contribution from Cliff Booker 31 May 2012, 06:16top / bottom of page

A wonderful tour around your plants in bloom, Jon ... some cracking shots there.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 10 June 2012, 08:57top / bottom of page

Jon - it's wonderful how every garden has it's own special plants and ways of looking at them! That Sedum pilosum is tremendous and I haven't come across it before. I'm really interested by your crevice bed, having also seen photos before. We are toying with the idea of doing a display at the Kent Garden Show next year and so it would be good to get some inspiration from AGS gardens here in the south.

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 14 June 2012, 16:35top / bottom of page

Wonderful pictures Jon - you have a delightful garden.

The crevice garden looks fabulous !!

Contribution from Tim Ingram 18 June 2012, 17:39top / bottom of page

Alpines generally don't figure in many gardens, but where they do they can be highly attractive. These few pictures are from the recent 'Secret Gardens' opening in Faversham where we live, and I put them in really to show that it is nice to think of alpines as a contribution to a garden, as much as we may often view them in more isolation at Shows, or even within our own gardens. Very many towns and villages hold such openings through the summer, and it would be nice to see alpines more represented.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

This discussion Thread: In the Garden at the end of May - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion