Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Fun with a Sand Bed!

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 11 June 2013, 08:51. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 14 of 14:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   (14)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 11 June 2013, 08:58top / bottom of page

A slightly fortuitous combination of Veronica thymoides and Helianthemum canum; the exquisite American Eriogonum ovalifolium (I am certainly going to try more and more of these on the bed, though like a number of plants I show they really need winter protection); and the first of a number of Androsaces - this is studiosorum 'Salmon's Variety' growing with self-seeding Polygala calcarea.

Several other Androsaces have made nice plants, though growing more slowly: A. studiosorum 'Doksa' (a very lovely white form); A. sarmentosa (Namche form); and very distinct, A. elatior. This tempts me to try more of this beautiful genus, and to learn more from the Androsace Group and from Jozef Lemmon's superb website: www.androsaceworld.com (many of the smaller more choice species I am sure would be better grown in troughs between crevices).

The sand bed sits as part of our front garden and the gravelled area in the foreground is made just over the normal garden soil, mainly for stronger growing pinks and silver foliage plants. In a way this confirms the effectiveness of growing alpines in this way because much more time has to be devoted to other parts of the garden and the alpines prosper with little care. There are plants as attractive as the choicest display plant in their moment - for example Achillea ageratifolia and a dwarf form of Dianthus gratianopolitanus (the Cheddar Pink), growing with a self-sown viola. It is hard to see why more gardeners do not use these plants in the garden, and I can only think that most remain 'uneducated' in the fairest possible sense.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 14 of 14:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   (14)   previous

This discussion Thread: Fun with a Sand Bed! - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion