Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Flowering in March 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 26 May 2014, 14:04. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 May 2014, 14:17top / bottom of page
Pulmonaria Blue Ensign

This is the best blue Pulmonaria I grow, and contrasts well with the cream, semi-double hellebore.

Pulmonaria Blue Ensign
Helleborus x hybridus

For some reason, although I grow a number of selected cream hellebores, the most successful hellebore here is this bright red one.  I learnt a while back not to let it seed (thousands of seedlings throughout the bed it is in), but the seedlings I left are still coming to maturity, surprising me with their variation.  Here are a paler one, and a lovely rich red one.

Helleborus x hybridus
Cyclamen coum

Cyclamen coum is always appearing in places where I haven't planted it, usually in places where I would assume it would be unhappy; this one is on the top of the main rock garden in a dry sunny location.

Cyclamen coum
Crocus chrysanthus cultivar

Crocuses always add a touch of joy to the spring garden; this is one of the C. chrysanthus cultivars, now naturalised in an area containing pulsatillas and other taller rock plants.

Crocus chrysanthus cultivar
Crocus tommasinianus Ruby Giant

Along with the C. chrysanthus there is this lovely patch of C. tommasinianus Ruby Giant; I think they look much better in the garden than crammed together in a pot for show.

Crocus tommasinianus Ruby Giant

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Flowering in March 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion