Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Fascicularia sp. likes it in wet Wales!

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Good

Go to latest contribution by John Good, 17 October 2011, 19:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Good 17 October 2011, 19:30top / bottom of page

I was pleased to see Ray Drew had chosen Fascicularia sp. as his Plant of the Month and am glad to be able to report that this plant has brown luxuriantly in my garden for 20 years, gradually forming a bigger and bigger clump of rosettes, only the youngest of which colour up and flower in any given year. When it is in flower it is one of those 'ooh-aah' plants that is admired by anyone who sees it and as such is one of the 'must-haves' for me. I have never had it set seed but it is not difficult to propagate vegetatively provided you are of a calm disposition, for the only way that I know of doing it is to cut off a rosette and plunge it into a pot of sharp sand or grit. Water well and then place the pot in a semi-shaded frame or greenhnouse, only watering again if it really needs it. This operation is probably best done in early autumn with the hope that rooting will have taken place by spring, but it could also be tried in spring.

My large old plant is growing on the flat in a poor stony, slightly raised bed but probably the ideal position would be in a large well-filled hole in a wall.

This discussion Thread: Fascicularia sp. likes it in wet Wales! - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion