Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: Directors' Garden, April 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

Go to latest contribution by Luc Gilgemyn, 20 April 2009, 14:51. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 15 April 2009, 16:51top / bottom of page

Yes, the apostrophe IS in the right place! Having been stuck indoors all day supervising the move of the website onto a new server, I was inspired by Cliff's contribution to put up some pictures from our garden. This is the bed I can see from the window.

Rhododendron 'Razorbill' is in full bloom and R. keiskei 'Yaku Fairy' is well budded up.

Between the two are nestled the remnants of Sanguinaria canadensis f.multiplex 'Plena' with the leaves now overtaking the flowers.

and Trillium grandiflorum:

To the front is Erythronium californicum 'White Beauty':

To the left is Trillium albidum:

The blues are just forget-me-nots that we allow to seed around. You have to be careful as the slugs seem to use the forget-me-nots as a hiding place from which they can make raids on other things, but the blue haze makes an attractive frame for everything else at this time of year.

The big gap in front of the Trillium is one of our failures - it was a superb clump of Paris quadrifolia. Here it is as it was in 2006:

It's down to one flower and a few pathetic stalks this year. Any thoughts about what might have gone wrong?

Possible factors:

Two very wet summers

An attempt to propagate by chopping bits off the edge.

Further round in the same bed, Rhododendron impeditum 'Blue Steel' is flowering well. Only 15cm across so far.

The Trilliums have all been planted as single flowers in the last few years and are beginning to bulk up well now after their usual slow start. Here is Trillium kurabayashii further up the garden in a rather good colour association with Omphalodes 'Starry Eyes'. (A few forget-me-nots getting into the picture as well.)

Contribution from Luc Gilgemyn 20 April 2009, 14:51top / bottom of page

Some very nice plants in your garden Jim !

We all hope to see more !

This discussion Thread: Directors' Garden, April 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion