Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: December

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 30 December 2012, 18:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 December 2012, 22:37top / bottom of page
Geranium papuanum

The winter always finishes the top growth off this geranium, but it usually seems to start again in spring from the rootstock.

Geranium papuanum
Armeria
Armeria
Papaver
Papaver
Androsace studiosorum
Androsace studiosorum
Douglasia vitaliana
Douglasia vitaliana
Dead leaves

From one of the herbaceous perennial geraniums, and Iris sibirica.

Dead leaves
Mallow

A mallow which seeds itself around gently, without becoming a nuisance (yet!).

Mallow
Rosa The Fairy

This little rose always flowers until the middle of winter; I have photographed it before festooned in hoar frost, and with little hats of snow.

Rosa The Fairy

Well, I hope that will convince you all that it is still worth venturing out into the garden, to see what nature has done to your plants while you weren't looking.

Contribution from John Good 14 December 2012, 22:16top / bottom of page
Gaultheria itoana

This plant, which always fruits very freely has gradually spread over 20 years to form a patch half a metre square. The fruits are fully formed by early October and remain in good fettle until February, so well worth the space.

Gaultheria itoana

Contribution from Cliff Booker 15 December 2012, 19:51top / bottom of page

Magnificent series of images (as always), Jon. Many thanks for posting.

Contribution from Jon Evans 16 December 2012, 11:29top / bottom of page

Thanks Cliff. It is good to know they are appreciated.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 16 December 2012, 15:05top / bottom of page

After seeing Jon's great images from Wisley I couldn't resist putting a collection from our garden, taken by my wife a few days ago. Frost gives a whole new perspective on the garden, as does snow, and really delineates the beauty and outline of foliage. Ferns are especially beautiful and I think my favourite is probably the Adiantum. Jon's 'spiny' looks like Berkheya multijuga, a hardy yellow 'thistle' from the Drakensberg.

(Adiantum; Androsace; Berkheya)

(Cotoneaster; Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata'; Dryopteris sieboldii)

(Epimedium; Lithodora zahnii; Polystichum setiferum)

(Trachycarpus wagnerianus)

There should be quite a bit more potential for pictures like this over the next few months!

Contribution from Brian Whyer 16 December 2012, 23:20top / bottom of page
Frosted plants

This is also the time of year when any regularly shaped cushion outside looks perfect. Covered in frost even the brown patches look good.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: December - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion