Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: December

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 30 December 2012, 18:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 December 2012, 22:19top / bottom of page
Asarum europaeum

I think these leaves are Asarum europaeum. I couldn't find a label, and in the frost it is hard to be sure.

Asarum europaeum
Saxifraga umbrosa
Saxifraga umbrosa
Heuchera
Heuchera
Spiny

I'm not sure what this is, but it is certainly not a cushion plant. What a wonderful foliage effect, towards the bottom of the rock garden.

Spiny
Gunnera

I am always fascinated by the tents they make to protect the gunnera in winter (out of their own leaves). I imagine them inhabited by some small marsh-dwelling species of sentient, like something out of Star Wars.

Gunnera
Ponds

The ponds across the bottom of the rock garden were all frozen. No koi to see, or feed, now.

Ponds
Bergenia
Bergenia
Camellia sasanqua Hugh Evans

On Battleston Hill, the ground was riddled with little holes and scuff marks where animals had been foraging, perhaps squirrels, since they were very much in evidence. A robin hopped down the path, and passed within 6 inches of my foot.

One camellia was in bloom already, covered with hundreds of small flowers roughly an inch and a half across.

Camellia sasanqua Hugh Evans
Spiders' webs

Back home, I thought I had better check if there was anything worth a photo in my own garden. I think these will be the last webs the garden spiders make this year.

Spiders' webs

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: December - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion