Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Plants in the Garden

Plants in the Garden: August in the garden

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 14 August 2012, 10:01. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 13 August 2012, 21:15top / bottom of page

A few pictures of what is flowering in my garden now.

Agapanthus Lilliput

I have tried to grow this tiny blue Agapanthus several times; this is the first time it has looked established and flowered regularly. It is only 12in or so high.

Agapanthus Lilliput
Small white Agapanthus

On the other side of the front garden, and slightly taller (18in) is this white agapanthus. I don't have a cultivar name for this one.

Small white Agapanthus
Campanula Marion Fisher

I have always loved this double white campanula, and it seems to be less desirable to slugs than most. It is the only dwarf campanula that has flowered for me this most mollusc-ridden summer.

Campanula Marion Fisher
Cleome

In an attempt to introduce some colour to the summer garden, I bought a Cleome from the local nursery (2.99 in the sale). It has been well worth the investment, and I hope it will set some seed so that I can grow my own next year.

Cleome
Coreopsis

Also from the nursery sale was this red form of Coreopsis verticillata.

Coreopsis
Crocosmia

The name of this Crocosmia is lost now - my memory says Star of the East but it doesn't look like the photos I can find of that. Most years the flowers are quite thin, and I have wondered about removing it, but this damp summer it has been magnificent.

Crocosmia
Hemerocallis

I like day lilies as long as they are single yellow varieties with some elegance about them.

Hemerocallis
Lysimachia ciliata Firecracker

This Lysimachia is a bit invasive, as most of its kin, with the exception of L. ephemerum (I must get some seed of that again), but it makes a magnificent late summer border plant, with the red leaves setting off the nodding yellow flowers.

Lysimachia ciliata Firecracker
Watsonia

Again no species or cultivar name I am afraid, but this big orange watsonia has been fabulous this year.

Watsonia

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: August in the garden - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Plants in the Garden
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion