Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Events

AGS Events: Potential Conference on Dryland Gardening

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Tim Ingram

What interest might there be from AGS members?

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 11 October 2011, 08:08. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 05 October 2011, 08:44top / bottom of page

Alpines are hugely more diverse than most gardeners realise and in drier parts of the country like the south-east a very different range of plants can be grown compared to the north and west. Therefore I wonder what interest there might be amongst members in a Conference dedicated to the alpines and plants of drier mountain ranges, and more specifically of ways of growing these in the garden? Many of the finest growers live in North America or Europe and it would be exciting to hear of their experiences. In addition it could be an event that could draw interest from outside the AGS and maybe inspire other gardeners to join the Society.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 11 October 2011, 08:08top / bottom of page

It seems I am somewhat alone in my interest in these plants, or maybe I have rather more enthusiasm than credibility! I have found such plants fascinating for over 30 years since first visiting Beth Chatto's garden, and it relates to the way natural plant communities have such strong relevance to the integrity of gardening. So I will see if I can develop greater interest over the coming years. I also think in the longer term it could have relevance to the presentation of plants on television - there are so many dramatic landscapes around the world which must carry a resonance with many gardeners.

This discussion Thread: Potential Conference on Dryland Gardening - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Events
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion