Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Events

AGS Events: JRGC Alpine Day 1st October 2015 at RHS Wisley

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 30 October 2015, 09:18. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 October 2015, 09:30top / bottom of page

Before I post the pictures from the Loughborough Autumn Show on Saturday, I would like to post a few pictures from the Alpine Day event organised by the Joint Rock Garden Committee at RHS Garden Wisley last Thursday.  The event was a huge success, with the attendance approaching the safety limits for the Hillside Event Centre.  I didn't take photos of the event itself; I left that for others, though no photos have yet appeared.  However, here are a few pictures of the plants on display.  First the two sales stands from Jacques Amand International (hello Nesta), and Copton Ash (Tim Ingram).

RHS Wisley Alpine Department display

The Alpine Department at Wisley staged a great display of autumn-flowering alpines against one wall.

RHS Wisley Alpine Department display
Brunsvigia striata

A few plants from the Wisley display - this Brunsvigia was bound to appeal to me.

Brunsvigia striata
Oxalis obliquifolia

Also from the RHS Wisley display

Oxalis obliquifolia
Oxalis ambigua

One final plant from the RHS Wisley display - an unfamiliar oxalis, but flowering well.

Oxalis ambigua
JRGC Open Meeting

One of the features of the day was that the JRGC held an open meeting during the afternoon, where the public were invited to observe the discussions about potential awards for plants.  These are the plants immediately after discussion, each with its appropriate form and award card.

JRGC Open Meeting
Colchicum persicum

The first two plants presented to the JRGC were from RBG Kew.  This rare and unusual colchicum was given a Botanical Certificate.

Colchicum persicum
Colchicum filifolium

This colchicum (formerly Merendera filifolia), also from RBG Kew, is much more familiar.

Colchicum filifolium
Oxalis massoniana

Moving on to plants from RHS Wisley - this pan of Oxalis massoniana was given a Cultural Commendation.

Oxalis massoniana
Oxalis melanosticta

This is another familiar plant from Wisley, often seen as Oxalis purpurea Ken Aslet.  I think Oxalis speciosa is another synonym for the same thing.

Oxalis melanosticta
Oxalis pulchella var tomentosa

This lovely plant was the most unusual of the three oxalis RHS Wisley put forward.  It was awarded a Preliminary Commendation.

Oxalis pulchella var tomentosa
Crocus kotschyanus subsp kotschyanus

Also from RHS Wisley

Crocus kotschyanus subsp kotschyanus
Biarum pyrami

I was taking the photos in the little kitchen off the Hillside Event Centre over lunchtime.  Up to this point, the plants I brought in all drew remarks such as "Lovely" from the RHS staff and committee members in the kitchen.  When I brought this plant in, at first sight the rec velvety colour of the spathe drew the same reaction, but the kitchen then emptied rapidly.  In order to attract its pollinators (flies), the plant has a very pungent scent, highly reminiscent of dog poo.  When you are carrying the pot around it is very tempting to hold it at arms length.

Biarum pyrami

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: JRGC Alpine Day 1st October 2015 at RHS Wisley - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Events
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion