Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Events

AGS Events: Birmingham One Day Conference 22nd February 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Diane Clement

Go to latest contribution by Diane Clement, 24 February 2014, 23:13. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Diane Clement 25 January 2014, 20:59top / bottom of page

AGS Birmingham Group are holding a One Day Conference on 22nd February 2014, at

Holy Name Church Parish Hall, Walsall Road, Great Barr, Birmingham, B43 6LN.

"World of Bulbs 5" 

Bob & Rannveig Wallis "Steppes in the Snowmelt"

Anne Wright "Make your own daffodils and snowdrops"

Kurt Vickery "Tulips from Kazakhstan ... and other animals"

Ian Young "Bulbs from seed to the garden"

Tickets £20, optional excellent buffet lunch £6.50

Nursery stalls: Aberconwy and Evolution Plants

For more information: click on the links below:

World of Bulbs Booking Form

Contribution from Diane Clement 17 February 2014, 12:45top / bottom of page

This Saturday 22nd February

Just a reminder of this event - "World of Bulbs 5".  It promises to be an excellent day with a superb programme.  Entry by ticket only, please use this link to book or for more information

World of Bulbs Booking Form

Contribution from Ross Barbour 22 February 2014, 20:32top / bottom of page
What a day!

A huge thank you to everyone involved in todays conference, well worth sacraficing one of the few fine days we have had so far this year.

After a marvellous tour of the Steppes around the World and some of the most desirable plants that grow there by Bob and Rannveig, we learned how to propagate and hybridise mini Narcs and Drops.

Anne Wright took us step by step through sowing and growing seeds, as well as pollinating and hybridising some of the cutest wee Narcs I have ever seen. To add to that, there was footage of twin scaling and chipping giving us all the practical know how needed to multiply our bulb collections tenfold. Yippee!

Another trip took us on the Tulip circut of Kazakhstan where our leader, Kurt Vickery teased us with some amazing scenery and the most gorgeous tulips, that I will be studying closly in my new book Diane Everett's 'Tulipa'. That's Kazakhstan on the list then.

Finally when I thought it couldn't get any better,  Ian Young enthused greatly on how beneficial it is to collect and grow the seeds from your bulbs and how letting your bulbs run wild through the garden works. Important information was also imparted from Ian on the best practice on cultivating some of our most popular bulbs. Today's lesson was 'sand beds'.

As well as learning so many useful tips, tricks and important details, I am now so inspired by today's lectures that I am just raring to go with new projects and the challenge of growing some incredible plants.

Contribution from Tim Ingram 23 February 2014, 06:46top / bottom of page

So nice to hear about that Ross - does anyone have any pictures? I am looking forward to the Frit. Group meeting with Jānis Rukšāns, especially after Maggi's comments on the SRGC Forum. His book 'Buried Treasures' which sort of reminds me of a few other bulb growers (!) is a fantastic read. Hope one day we might be able to tempt gardeners down to far flung Kent - some thoughts are gestating.

Contribution from Diane Clement 24 February 2014, 23:13top / bottom of page

Glad you enjoyed the day, Ross, I've had quite a few appreciative comments.

Tim, sorry no pics from me, I was a bit too busy on the day!  Not sure if anyone else took pictures??

This discussion Thread: Birmingham One Day Conference 22nd February 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Events
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion