Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Events

AGS Events: Alpines without Frontiers - Conference roundup

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

Go to latest contribution by Jim McGregor, 20 April 2011, 21:01. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 14 April 2011, 15:13top / bottom of page

After four years planning the Eighth International Rock Garden Conference is under way at last.

Registration has started and the delegates are arriving.

Chris and Kim looking remarkably cheerful in spite of weeks of hectic work at Headquarters in preparation for the event.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 14 April 2011, 16:01top / bottom of page
History

The first conference was held in 1936 and for those who are interested a report appears in th Alpine Garden Society Bulletin, Vol 4, 1936. (This was on the CD distributed free to AGS members a couple of years ago.)

The second was in 1951 and they have been held every ten years since.

Photographic displays

Jon Evans has been hard at work since 8.00 this morning setting up his displays of Photographs and is now setting up the Artistic Section of the competitive show.

Photographic displays

The Artistic Show will be judged tomorrow morning and will be available for viewing until Saturday night.

Plant Show

The plant show takes place on Saturday, so watch this space.

Contribution from Anne Marise GIBSON 14 April 2011, 23:25top / bottom of page

Well the internet connection in the residence works!

and the conference has got off to a great start with talks by David Haselgrove and Brian Mathew.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 16 April 2011, 05:55top / bottom of page
International Conference

Having a wonderful time ... wish you were here!

Excellent conference so far ... and we are only half way through! LOL.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 16 April 2011, 13:56top / bottom of page
International Conference Show

Many, many congratulations to Farrer Medal and Forrest Medal Winner Chris Lilley from North Anston with his amazing and aged plant of Trillium grandiflorum which scooped the award for 'Best plant in the Show' against some tremendous opposition.

Chris Lilley and his splendid Trillium grandiflorum.

International Conference Show

Contribution from Anne Marise GIBSON 18 April 2011, 18:24top / bottom of page

I just want to say Thank you for this excellent conference.

The amount of work involved must have been huge but everything went well, venue was brilliant, the lovely atrium in the conference centre was the perfect setting.

Everyone I spoke to enjoyed it very much.

congratulations to all and I hope the Pershore staff and expecially Christine are having a chance to relax and a few days off now!

I loved the Tabloid newspaper announcing Kit Grey- Wilson "retirement" as editor- any chance of putting it on the Web site for everyone else to see?!

Congratulations to Chris Lilley too!

Contribution from Jim McGregor 18 April 2011, 23:18top / bottom of page

John Fitzpatrick's 'tribute' to Kit is now on our stop-press: Kit's Off

Contribution from Diane Clement 19 April 2011, 09:30top / bottom of page

Having now had a day to recover (and a couple of nights sleep!), I would like to echo Anne?s thoughts. The venue and food were excellent and the whole conference was a fantastic occasion.

I feel that the Conference is a very important core activity of the Society as it brings together some of the greatest names in the Society to share their expertise and knowledge, not only in the lecture theatre and workshops, but also in less formal gatherings. I was delighted by the sight of four giants of the alpine scene rarely seen together having a chat in the show hall on Saturday: Erich Pasche, Henrik Zetterlund, Tony Hall and Harry Jans.

I was particularly bowled over by the display by Jon Evans of ?Ten years of photographing alpines? which contained hundreds of pristine photos, mounted and displayed on several boards, showing a range of Jon?s work, from formal portraits to his imaginative nurseryland interpretations. There was a series of ?before? and ?after? pictures showing how to edit pictures in various ways. There was also detailed commentary displayed on how Jon achieves his results, which he had kindly printed out as a series of handouts.

I greatly enjoyed the lectures, the workshops, the show and all the informal chats and get togethers with old and new friends.

Thanks to Christine and all the staff at Pershore, the organising committee, local group members and all the other volunteers that made it all possible. Here?s looking forward to 2021.

Contribution from Margaret Young 19 April 2011, 11:43top / bottom of page

Quote from: Diane Clement

I was particularly bowled over by the display by Jon Evans of ?Ten years of photographing alpines? which contained hundreds of pristine photos, mounted and displayed on several boards, showing a range of Jon?s work, from formal portraits to his imaginative nurseryland interpretations. There was a series of ?before? and ?after? pictures showing how to edit pictures in various ways. There was also detailed commentary displayed on how Jon achieves his results, which he had kindly printed out as a series of handouts.

Hear hear! Diane, I too thought Jon's displays a real triumph. It was impossible to capture the sheer scope of them, even from a physical standpoint, in any photo so you'll have to take our word!

There were lots of members of the local AGS Group who beavered away all weekend with Christine and Kim to help us all know what was going on and sincere thanks to them all... in their smart purple Conference polo shirts, for their help.

It was tricky to note people's names, because the name tags we had kept turning back to front and unless folks had added their names to the reverse it was a question of grabbing the badge and turning it over to see the names... and it proved impossible to do that hundreds of times over the weekend! I now wish I had done so for the core helpers from the Notts Group so they could get a name check here.... but thanks to them all, anyway!

The fun continues with the flow of visitors to our gardens!

Contribution from Anne Marise GIBSON 19 April 2011, 13:15top / bottom of page

Thanks Jim for putting up the tabloid version of The Alpine Gardener.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2011, 15:04top / bottom of page

I would like to thank Diane and Maggi for their kind comments. I am very aware that a great many people worked extremely hard to make the conference a success, in much less visible ways, and a little embarrassed (albeit gratified) that my contribution should attract so much attention.

These two exhibits would not have happened without the help, support and belief of the organising committee, who facilitated my requests for a steadily increasing number of display boards, and arranged their delivery, layout and construction. I could not have managed to carry and put up all the boards, pictures and competition entries without a good deal of physical assistance. In particular my wife Helen not only put up with my obsession during the preparation of the exhibit, but also came to the Conference centre to help me put up, and take down the exhibits; her help was invaluable.

I would also like to thank Doug Joyce and Peter Maguire, who assisted me with the photography at the show (as so memorably captured by Cliff on the SRGC forum). I could not have managed without them to carry all the (extremely large) pots; I carried just six 19cm pots towards the end of the day, and that was enough, with my back in its current state. They also contributed in no small way by providing a steady flow of beer while I was besieged by questions in the bar after the lectures had finished; special thanks for that.

Finally, I should like to thank everyone for coming, and making the conference such an enjoyable occasion. I have met many old and made many new friends; it was particularly exciting to be able to talk with so many people from Scotland and Ireland with whom I have corresponded over the years, but have never met face to face.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 19 April 2011, 16:55top / bottom of page

Apologies for these poor images but I hope they can convey just a tiny proportion of the magnificent display that Jon put on for the entertainment, edification and education of the delegates. We were all thrilled to see so many special images and so superbly presented.

Jon also found the time to win numerous classes in the Artistic Classes and put on a thoroughly entertaining and thought provoking workshop that attracted so many delegates that it was standing room only for quite a number of people.

Many thanks Jon for all your lengthy preparation work and for your enormous contribution to a truly wonderful Conference.

Artwork and photography classes

Cyril Lafong and Carol Bainbridge preparing their exhibits prior to the show.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 20 April 2011, 21:01top / bottom of page

Here is Jon Evans enjoying a very rare moment of relaxation at the Conference Dinner.

Sitting beside him is Jill Saxton who helped to record the results at the Conference Show.

Here we have Margaret Lindop a former Committee member, Chris McGregor the AGS Director and Anna Mumford of Timber Press.

Anna Mumford again chatting to the new Editor of the Alpine Gardener, John Fitzpatrick.

Here we have Roy Lancaster the principal speaker chatting to the President of the AGS, Val Lee.

Here is Chris Grey-Wilson the outgoing Editor with Jill Cowley, authority on Roscoeas.

From the left: Chris Brickell, Joy Bishop, Peter Erskine and Liz Mills, the President of the SRGC.

Some more conference delegates from the SRGC: Henry and Margaret Taylor.

Margaret Young down from Aberdeen with her husband Ian one of the speakers - sorry Ian didn't get a picture of you.

Sandy Leven, Ray Drew the new AGS Director of Shows, and Val Keegan the Show Secretary of the Dublin AGS Show.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Alpines without Frontiers - Conference roundup - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Events
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion