Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Display Gardens

Display Gardens: RHS Wisley in Late March

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 30 May 2014, 15:59. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 30 May 2014, 15:59top / bottom of page

I spent a long Sunday at Wisley towards the end of March helping with the World of Alpines display (see AGS Events).  At lunchtime I took a brief walk around part of the garden to get some fresh air and daylight, and clear my head.

A tulip trial was being conducted in beds between the Hillside Event Centre and the alpine house and I couldn't resist some snaps of that.

Tulipa Hearts Delight
Tulipa Hearts Delight
Tulipa Light and Dreamy
Tulipa Light and Dreamy
Tulipa Rosy Dream
Tulipa Rosy Dream
Tulipa Bernadette
Tulipa Bernadette
Tulipa Girlfriend

I think this was my favourite, with very short stems.

Tulipa Girlfriend
Daphne x susannae Tichborne

The plants in the new crevice garden next to the alpine house are starting to settle down and make a show.  A week or so later, this daphne must have been spectacular.

Daphne x susannae Tichborne
Corydalis solida Firecracker

This C. solida clone is a spectacular colour.  I would like to find a source for it - several nurseries list it according to the Plantfinder, but when you look on their lists it doesn't appear.

Corydalis solida Firecracker
Corydalis malkensis

C. malkensis is starting to naturalise in one of the valleys in the crevice garden.

Corydalis malkensis
Primula hybrid

A Primula allionii hybrid tucked into a crevice.

Primula hybrid
Iris suaveolens

Iris suaveolens seems happy in a crevice location.

Iris suaveolens
Polygala chamaebuxus v. grandiflora

This little shrub also seems happy in the sandstone crevices; I think it is ericaceous, which means that it would be considerably less comfortable in my limestone rockwork.

Polygala chamaebuxus v. grandiflora
Polygala chamaebuxus
Polygala chamaebuxus

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: RHS Wisley in Late March - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Display Gardens
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion