Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Display Gardens

Display Gardens: Chelsea 2008 Alpine for All Aspects

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Humphries

The preparation of the societies garden at Chelsea 2008

Go to latest contribution by John Humphries, 19 May 2008, 00:45. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from John Humphries 18 May 2008, 01:07top / bottom of page

Returning a few moments later to discover that dead treestumps have arrived in the bog.

This sort of thing requires a fair bit of thought so over lunch, Ray considers the many options available at this stage.

Always considering the plant material available.

Together with the other spaces where plant material will also be required.

Here we see the second bog, a lower affair with a 3" sock filled with compost with another 10' by 7' scrap of liner, this time seemingly fed by the rocky waterfall behind.

Contribution from John Humphries 18 May 2008, 01:34top / bottom of page
Poor light and no tripod means fewer photographs I'm afraid

The work continues on the Scree, dressing the surface with a mixture of stone sizes.

Poor light and no tripod means fewer photographs I
Positioning of plants is a key consideration
Positioning of plants is a key consideration
While watering in is something to be done last thing in the evening

As in the garden at home, after dusk starts is the best time, the plants get a cool drink and the compost is again fully workable by morning.

A few rotten logs placed in the second bog
A few rotten logs placed in the second bog
Time to call a halt at 7pm on Thursday 15th May

A busy day with a lot of planning preparation and planting.

Time to call a halt at 7pm on Thursday 15th May

With a fair bit to show for all the effort.

Comments please!!

Contribution from Rosemary Powis 18 May 2008, 12:36top / bottom of page
Thank you

Thank you John for taking the time to show the fascinating photos of how the display is staged. It gives an idea of the many different skills in design, construction and plantsmanship so ably provided by the team. It looks wonderful and I hope all the hard work will be rewarded by a Gold Medal. I am looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 18 May 2008, 23:56top / bottom of page

An interesting collection of photos showing us the day to day work of building an exhibit. It looks to be making good progress and appears to be fun fitting all the plants in to make a good exhibit. I hope the judges appreciate the finished article but you can never tell with judges. Good luck!

Contribution from John Humphries 19 May 2008, 00:26top / bottom of page
More on the preparation later, see garden now finished

Thank you Elizabeth, I will be posting more shots from the preparation of the exhibit later. For the moment the garden is now finished and I have a few other jobs to complete for the plant list etc. So I will only post a few on the Finished Chelsea 2008 thread tonight.

Contribution from John Humphries 19 May 2008, 00:45top / bottom of page

Thank you also Rosemary, I'll be on the stand on Wednesday evening and will be interested to hear what you think.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Chelsea 2008 Alpine for All Aspects - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Display Gardens
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion