Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Display Gardens

Display Gardens: All About Plants

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

RHS Wisley 20-21st June

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 05 July 2015, 06:10. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 8 of 17:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   (8)   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 01 July 2015, 09:14top / bottom of page
Calochortus venustus

Again two different forms, suggesting a seed-raised origin, but I think this label might be right.

Calochortus venustus

One final pot was labelled Calochortus species.  I think this is again C. venustus or a hybrid thereof.

Sedum dasyphyllum subsp dasyphyllum var mesatlanticum

A tiny plant with a big name !

Sedum dasyphyllum subsp dasyphyllum var mesatlanti
Sphaeralcea grossulariifolia

A lovely little mallow.

Sphaeralcea grossulariifolia
Acantholimon species
Acantholimon species
Acantholimon bracteatum var capitatum
Acantholimon bracteatum var capitatum
Eriogonum sphaerocephalum var sphaerocephalum
Eriogonum sphaerocephalum var sphaerocephalum
Brodiaea elegans
Brodiaea elegans
Brodiaea californica
Brodiaea californica
Brodiaea terrestris
Brodiaea terrestris
Massonia species

We are used now to Massonia species which are winter growers, flowering in the autumn, with tufts of white flowers.  But there is a group of much smaller, summer growing species, including M. wittebergensis, mostly endemic to specific mountain tops, which as far as I know have not yet been examined systematically and had their identities sorted out.  But then the whole genus badly needs taxonomic revision.  Anyway, it was exciting to see this unnamed species in flower in the alpine house; I have a few seedlings of M. wittebergensis in their third year, but they are yet to flower.

Massonia species
Hypoxis hemerocallidea

When I took these photos, my attention was focused on the lovely leaf structures.  I wish I had noticed, and photographed properly the bizarre plant to the left of the Hypoxis - I don't know what it is.

Hypoxis hemerocallidea
Conanthera campanulata

A South American bulb, and another favourite of mine, which I have grown several times from seed, but always manage to kill in the end.

Conanthera campanulata

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 8 of 17:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   (8)   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   previous   next

This discussion Thread: All About Plants - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Display Gardens
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion