Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Display Gardens

Display Gardens: A Wet Autumn Wednesday at Wisley

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 14 October 2012, 21:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 6:    1   (2)   3   4   5   6   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 14 October 2012, 21:46top / bottom of page
Brunsvigia bosmaniae

Looking down the house, past B. orientalis, you can see more plants of B. bosmaniae in bloom. Hopefully, this means they will be pollinated, and the RHS staff will be able to collect and sow some seed. I am including all the pictures a) because they are so beautiful, and b) to show the variation in colour. Note the sun is trying to come out now.

Brunsvigia bosmaniae
Sternbergia lutea

Back to some more familiar autumn flowers. This pan of sternbergia with large flowers and wide petals brightened up the afternoon when the sun fell on it.

Sternbergia lutea
Merendera montana

However, the unexpected reappearance of sunshine made this fine pan of merendera almost impossible to get a good photo of (I needed to find a way of shading the right hand half of the pot).

Merendera montana
Gladiolus brevifolius

Back to South Africa. This is one of several autumn-flowering gladioli, but a particularly graceful one, with delicate colouration. Another for my wants list.

Gladiolus brevifolius
Benches

As well as the plants I have highlighted, the benches were full of cyclamen, mainly C. hederifolium and C. graecum.

Benches
Aeonium nobile

On the other side of the house was this very architectural plant. When I hear the name Aeonium, I think of the familiar A. Schwarzkopf, sold widely at garden centres, and grown on patios by people you hope will remember to put it inside out of the frost in the winter. Pressed to think further, I might remember A. tabuliforme, which appears occasionally on AGS show benches with its wonderful rosettes. This aeonium (nobile) was really striking - two feet high with a large head of coppery-bronze flowers.

Aeonium nobile
Nerine humilis

A few other shots before I leave the alpine house. A nice form of Nerine humilis.

Nerine humilis
Strumaria gemmata

A good pan of Strumaria gemmata.

Strumaria gemmata
Rhodophiala bifida

The big pots of Rhodophiala bifida you may have glimpsed in the background of some of the other views.

Rhodophiala bifida
Brunsvigia bosmaniae

Finally, a last shot of one of the brunsvigias, with the sun behind it.

Brunsvigia bosmaniae

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 6:    1   (2)   3   4   5   6   previous   next

This discussion Thread: A Wet Autumn Wednesday at Wisley - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Display Gardens
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion