Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Cultivation (growing techniques)

Cultivation (growing techniques): Using Rock Dust

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Sharon Shelley

Go to latest contribution by Sharon Shelley, 16 March 2017, 11:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Sharon Shelley 13 March 2017, 10:39top / bottom of page

Hi has anyone tried using Rock Dust as a feed for Alpines. I have a small Alpine House with a typical beginners selection after plants all in terracotta pots and sand plunge beds

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 13 March 2017, 19:04top / bottom of page

Hi Sharon, I haven't used it but a little research confirms that it can provide trace elements and minerals and so may improve the health of your plants, especially if your compost mix is lacking in these. What it won't do, however, is feed your plants so when the nutrients in your compost have been exhausted you will still need to feed with a low nitrogen fertiliser. This only needs to be done every few waterings and at about a quarter of the strength suggested on the packaging. Hope that helps.

Martin

Contribution from Sharon Shelley 16 March 2017, 11:20top / bottom of page
Rock dust and feeding

Thank you I will give it a try, We also sell Chempak no 8 Low Nitrogen feed in our allotment trading hut, as my plunge beds are in three isolated sections then I think a little experimentation is on the cards

Regards

This discussion Thread: Using Rock Dust - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Cultivation (growing techniques)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion