Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Cultivation (growing techniques)

Cultivation (growing techniques): Tecophileae leichtlinii cultivation

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ulrich Tiesler

Go to latest contribution by Ulrich Tiesler, 06 April 2017, 21:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Ulrich Tiesler 06 April 2017, 07:04top / bottom of page

Dear all,

finally I got hold of a few flowering plants - but to be honest I am pretty clueless re cultivation. From what I found in the internet I should keep the moist and well fed in spring - but how to cultivate on? What potting compost?

How can give tips from a bit of history of successful cultivation?

Thank you so much! Ulrich

Contribution from Margaret Young 06 April 2017, 15:02top / bottom of page

We grow Tecophilaea in our standard potting  mix, which is, by  volume, two parts gravel, one part leaf mould , two parts sharp sand.  They are fed some Sulphate of potash  powder a couple of times during growth -  tiny amount sprinkled on the surfave of the pot and watered in.  They  can be given  weak tomato-type fertiliser occasionally during the growing season if wishes.  We keep them in a  cold glass-house and they remain dry through the summer, after the foliage dies down, after seed has ripened.  Hope this helps. You can see  more about the merhods my husband and I use in the Bulb Log Diaries of Ian Young on the Scottish Rock Garden Club Website - -these have been issued every week since 2003  so there is a wealth of information there. There is also an index to help. 

Enjoy growing these most charming plants!

M. Young

Contribution from Ulrich Tiesler 06 April 2017, 21:20top / bottom of page

Thank you so much Margaret, that is very helpful indeed. I will also check out your bulb log, which I had seen before (and which is fantastic). Kind regards, Ulrich

This discussion Thread: Tecophileae leichtlinii cultivation - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Cultivation (growing techniques)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion